Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

One For The Birds!

Today I was looking through my coupons to see which ones were still valid.  I found that I had four BOGO coupons for a local chain of restaurants that sells special sandwiches with bird names.  Since all four ran out on Wednesday, I thought that we should at least use one of them this evening.  So Dianne and I went to the restaurant expecting to get one free  sandwich.  After an enjoyable meal (a finch and a pterodactyl) we went to pay the bill.  I gave the waitress the coupon and a gift card.  Minutes later she came back and told me that she had to take the entire bill off my gift card and she couldn't honor the coupon because their "machine wasn't working".  I was astonished and challenged her about this but she insisted that the coupon couldn't be honored tonight and that I could use it another night.  I reminded her that it expired on Wednesday and she said that her manager said we could still use it anytime.  She knew I was upset and since other customers were watching I decided not to make more of a scene.  So we left - without leaving a tip.  As we drove home I became more upset thinking about things I should have done.  I planned to write one of my famous letters but thought that I should first call the manager.  Fortunately the manager answered and she knew nothing about the problem.  She asked for the name of the waitress and I found it on our receipt.  She then put me on hold while she talked to the waitress. Moments later she returned and said that the waitress had scanned our gift card before seeing my coupon and she didn't know how to correct her mistake.  I reminded the manager that the coupon was on top of the gift card when I gave it to her.  It appears that the waitress tried to cover up her mistake by telling me several lies - I no longer feel bad about not leaving her a tip.  The manager apologized and said that she would sent me three BOGO coupons for future use.  I told her that this was not satisfactory since I didn't intend to pay for three sandwiches to get my one free sandwich.  She replied that she would try to find some coupons for free sandwiches and mail them to me.  I told her that would be satisfactory.  Now I will watch the mail to see if that indeed happens.  I have a feeling that the waitress might be in a little trouble - as the Bible says, your sins will find you out.  If only she would have admitted her mistake and asked for help.  But instead she thought she could lie her way out of the mistake - but, unfortunately for her, she did it to one who is willing to write or call and complain when he is taken advantage of.   We live in a world where dishonesty is becoming the norm.  So the moral of the story is to watch all your transactions and be ready to stand up for yourself when you are taken advantage of.   After all, we have the responsibility to be diligent with the money and possessions the Lord has allowed us to have.  In future blogs I might relate two other similar situations that I had to deal with concerning purchases.  Now the dilemma I face is - do I really want another sandwich named after a bird?

No comments: