Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, September 11, 2009

RAIN, RAIN, PLEASE GO AWAY!

No it really isn't "Rain, rain, go away, Barry wants to play today!" But that would be a great idea. We recently decided to have all of our sidewalks and concrete steps replaced. We had part of this done several years ago and the job was terrible - but that is another story. In addition to what was done several years ago, the original steps at our side doors have sunk and rain water runs against our house and often into our basement. It all needs to be replaced. Even though we signed a contract, we were expecting that the cement work would be done later in the Fall. So we were shocked when we came home on Tuesday morning to find the workmen tearing out the old cement. They took it all out that day so all we can use now is our back door. Then, on Wednesday, they poured the footers for our front landing and steps. So far so good. But then it began to rain. When we came home from Awana at about 10 pm, we found all the trenches around the house filled with water. The big pit out front was also filling up and, thanks to the new footers, the water was building up against our foundation. So I spent the next hour, in pouring rain and mud, trying to cover things up. Using some old pieces of plywood, some other boards, and two tarps I was finally able to get the front and side pits "covered". Then I spent another 30 minutes digging trenches to help the water drain off the covering and away from the pits. Fun, fun, fun! Not! Then, Thursday morning the rain stopped and the sun came out. PTL. Midday the masons came, took off my protective cover and added the block - but not filling in around the new foundation. They "threw" my tarps and wood over the hole once again, but did not nothing to assure that water would drain away. Then, guess what? The real rain came and for the past 16 hours it has been pouring. Right now our rain gauge says almost 4 inches has fallen. So back out in the rain and mud - that has been my evening and morning and the end isn't yet in sight. Maybe I should build an ark! Our sump pump has been running in the basement and PTL, we don't yet have water yet in the front of the basement where it won't drain to the sump pump. So we keep "shoveling" water that won't drain off the tarps before it heads to our basement, praying that the rain will soon stop. So maybe it should be "rain, rain go away, Barry wants to rest today!'" But then there is also the problem that we hold tickets to tomorrow's Penn State - Syracuse game. Will the rain stop? Dare we leave home? Will the grass parking lots be open? Will it rain throughout the game? I guess we could always stay home and watch it on TV. So stay tuned. Keep dry!

No comments: