Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Politics

Growing up I was taught to be proud of our political system and heritage. None had ever rivaled it. And it was basically good. People were freely elected and then proudly went to Washington or Harrisburg to serve the people and to protect our great country. We supported elected leaders no matter what party they represented because they desired to serve the people. But times have changed and folks like me are quickly losing our confidence in our government. Today politicians are more interested in protecting their jobs and getting reelected. Politics and party loyalty are much more important than what is best for the people. This becomes obvious when people are predicting that nothing will get done by Congress during the next year because of the elections that are coming up in 2012. The president is already ramping up his efforts to win a second term by promoting a "class warfare" agenda - the rich vs. the poor. Tax the rich to support the middle class. And because of this, nothing important will get done once again this year. And no politician will tackle the pressing problems of the economy because they are afraid politically to take on things like social security and medicare. And so while they position to keep their jobs, the country goes deeper into debt. Are there any true patriots anymore? Are there any elected leaders who will stand up and do what is right for the country? And no Democrat will dare take on the President or even run against him. That would be political suicide. Then there are the hapless Republicans who are battling each other for the chance to take on Obama next year. Publicly they tear each other apart and put each other down. They try to destroy their opponents with their nasty remarks. The one who survives will have been battered, not only by the liberal press, but also by their fellow party members. The candidates will have already exposed all the shortcomings for the country to see before the campaign begins. Then they will try to unite and provide support for the winner to take on the President who has already been campaigning and raising money. None of this really makes any sense to me. And with the economy in the tank, both parties will still spend millions and millions of dollars to try to win the White House. Why not donate that to pay down the national debt or secure social security or lower the unemployment rate. Such hypocrisy. Unfortunately, I no longer feel that I can trust any of them. And the day of a commoner, with little money, getting elected to an important political office is long past. Now it is only a possibility for those who are famous, rich, or in the debt of somebody with deep pockets. Now I guess my blog has been very depressing. The state of politics today is depressing. But the one hope that we have is the knowledge that God is still in control and that the return of Christ must be very near. Years ago I was told that the prefix "poly" means many and that "tic" is a blood sucking parasite. So put them together - poly tic - and you have a good definition of politics today. Keep looking up!

No comments: