Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

There Is An Explanation


          One of the things that most of us face as we grow older is the frustration of trying to recall simple things like names, dates and such important items.  Not only is it often inconvenient and at times even embarrassing, but it makes us worry that it is the beginning of something much more serious, such as dementia.
         All of us have seen those who have suffered very serious memory problems and it is so very sad.  None of us ever want to experience a life where we don't recognize our loved ones anymore or remember anything about the lives we have lived.  But it does happen to too many.
          But recently a friend of mine sent me an e-mail with some very encouraging information for those of us who experience these "senior moments".  I thought I should share it with my friends who are joining me with these happenings as well as those who probably soon will.
           Did you know.......
*   Brains of older people are slow because they know so much.  
*   People do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe. 
*   Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.
*   Researchers say this slowing down it is not the same as cognitive decline.  
*   The human brain works slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only because we have stored more information over time.  The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.
*   Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they get there, they stand there wondering what they came for.  It is NOT a memory problem, it is nature's way of making older people do more exercise.

SO THERE!     I have more friends that I should send this too, but right now I can't remember their names.

No comments: