Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Discouragement

               This past week I read a devotional by David Jeremiah that met a particular need that I have been dealing with.  Since I assume that many of my readers may have the same battle, I thought I'd share it with you.

          
"It's natural to become discouraged, but it's unhealthy to stay that way.  Satan loves to utilize the giant discouragement to cast down our faith and progress.  John Bunyan called it Giant Despair in his classic The Pilgrim's Progress and it imprisoned Christian until he found the Key of Promise in his clothing.

          If Giant Despair has you in his dungeon today, remember you have the key to escape.  It's inside your Bible, found in one of the hundreds of promises God has given you.  For example, you can claim Joshua 1:9 which says, "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

          Discouragement is the temptation to evaluate your momentary circumstances apart from the overarching plan of God for your life.  God is a God of encouragement.  As soon as you become discouraged, cry out to Him in prayer and ask for His help.  God wants to hear your prayers, even when discouraged.  He will answer and bring encouragement to your heart."

          I don't know if you need that reminder, but I do  My wife is facing knee replacement surgery on July 31 and unless Medicare or the Lord provide help, I will need to care for her.  Physically I'm not sure that I can do that.  Then two days ago I fell in a parking lot while onloading our walkers from our van.  Thankfully I did not break anything, but I am bruised and aching and am having difficulty walking.  But I know that the Lord knows this and He will provide the strength and help that we need.  I will appreciate your prayers.
           

I close this blog with one of my favorite hymns.

(1)   Is there a heart o'erbound by sorrow?

Is there a life weighed down by care?

Come to the cross, each burden bearing—

All your anxiety, leave it there.

All your anxiety, all your care,

Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;

Never a burden He cannot bear,

Never a friend like Jesus!

 

(2)   No other friend so keen to help you,

No other friend so quick to hear;

No other place to leave your burden,

No other one to hear your prayer. 

All your anxiety, all your care,

Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;

Never a burden He cannot bear,

Never a friend like Jesus!

 

(3)    Come then at once, delay no longer!

Heed His entreaty kind and sweet;

You need not fear a disappointment,

You shall find peace at the mercy seat.

All your anxiety, all your care,

Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;

Never a burden He cannot bear,

Never a friend like Jesus!

 

             


No comments: