Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Father's Day


           Father's Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood and the influence of fathers in society. In Catholic Europe, it has been celebrated on March 19 (St. Joseph's Day) since the Middle Ages. This celebration was brought by the Spanish and Portuguese to Latin America, where March 19 is often still used for it. Many countries in Europe and the Americas have adopted the U.S. date, which is the third Sunday of June.              

           A bill to accord national recognition of the holiday in the United States was introduced in Congress in 1913 but it didn't get anywhere. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson went to Spokane to speak at a Father's Day celebration and he wanted to make it an officially recognized federal holiday, but Congress resisted, fearing that it would become commercialized.  Now how would that ever happen in the U.S. Commercialized, never, at least not until Hallmark would see a way to exploit it.
          In 1957, Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith wrote a Father's Day proposal accusing Congress of ignoring fathers for 40 years while honoring mothers, thus "[singling] out just one of our two parents". In 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers, designating the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. Six years later, the day was made a permanent national holiday when President Richard Nixon signed it into law in 1972.
          And that brings us to this year when we celebrate this special day on June 18.  Now I must admit that our family never made a big thing out of this day as some folks do.  We usually sent a card, wished them a happy father's day and sometimes visited with them.  However, now that both my father and father-in-law are gone, I wish that I had done more for them.  We miss them both but have the comfort of knowing where they are.  But there are many days when I wish I could call my dad, share with him events in my life and seek his wise advice.
          We have decided to do one special thing for them this year.  On Sunday Dianne is playing the offertory and she has put together a simple medley of their two favorite hymns.  I have prepared a visual presentation to accompany her playing.  This is our way of remembering both of them this year.
         Music was an important part of both of our homes growing up.  Dianne and her sister sang solos.  They and their mother played the piano.  Her father played the guitar.  And hymns were important to them.  My family sang several times in church as a family.  My sister sang in the Kauffman Trio with my wife and sister-in-law. Dad played the harmonica. I played the trombone and sang with many groups.  Every time my family traveled together we sang hymns in the car.
          My father-in law's favorite hymn was "There's Room At The Cross For You".  He had the gift of evangelism and wanted to share with everyone the life changing experience he had in his adult years.

(1)    The cross upon which Jesus died
Is a shelter in which we can hide
And its grace so free is sufficient for me
And deep is its fountain as wide as the sea.
Chorus:
There's room at the cross for you
There's room at the cross for you
Though millions have come, there's still room for one
Yes there's room at the cross for you.

(2)   Though millions have found him a friend
And have turned from the sins they have sinned
The Savior still waits to open the gates
And welcome a sinner before it's too late. Chorus: 

(3)   The hand of my Savior is strong
And the love of my Savior is long
Through sunshine or rain, through loss or in gain,
The blood flows from Calvary to cleanse every stain. Chorus:

     My father grew up in a pastor's home and came to know the Lord as a child.  He, too, had a burden for the lost and looked forward to the time when he and his family would be reunited around God's throne in heaven.  His favorite was "Oh That Will Be, Glory For Me".

1.     When all my labors and trials are over,
And I am safe on that beautiful shore,
Just to be near the dear Lord I adore,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
Refrain:
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

2.     When, by the gift of His infinite grace,
I am accorded in heaven a place,
Just to be there and to look on His face,
Will through the ages be glory for me. Refrain

3.     Friends will be there I have loved long ago;
Joy like a river around me will flow;
Yet just a smile from my Savior, I know,
Will through the ages be glory for me.  Refrain

          I thank the Lord for a godly father, father-in-law and even grandfathers who loved the Lord and set wonderful examples to me.  I have really been blest.
          Now if your father is still alive, don't you dare miss this special opportunity to spend time with him on Father's Day.  If you don't, someday you may regret it, after he is no longer here.
          If you don't know these two hymns, here are links that will allow you to hear them.

No comments: