Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Are They Serious About Cutting Costs?

We are in tough economic times. Our federal deficit is horrendous, our state is operating in the red, and local governments are struggling to make ends meet. And few above the local level are really doing anything serious about trying to fix the problem. And if they do try, they get ridiculed, people complain and nothing happens. Nobody wants to sacrifice. Nobody wants their perks cut. So all we do is talk, talk, talk. Something has to give before our nation goes bankrupt. And it may take some new ways to accomplish things. I hate the modern term "think out of the box" so I won't even suggest that. But we do need to change the way we operate. Now I think there are a number of places to start and one is with the election process. My proposal is to drop the primary elections. These are essentially just forums to help two major parties select their candidates. And they are tremendously expensive. First they need to pay to rent facilities for each precinct. They they must hire staff for each of the locations - the pay isn't much but it still probably costs $600 or more at each precinct for staff. Then they must pay to print different ballots, provisional ballots, and absentee ballots for each precinct, as well as printing dozens of different forms to meet crazy federal election requirements. Many of these, especially excess ballots, are just thrown away after the election. Then there is the cost of advertisement, preparation, delivery and collection of equipment, compilation of results, and verification of all the voting results. I don't know what it actually costs for each precinct, but with 223 precincts in Lancaster County alone the total cost has to be at least $200,000 for the county. And what is accomplished? Unless there is a special referendum, the Democrats and Republicans are able to eliminate a few people for the general election to follow in November. Now my solution is to drop the primaries and allow all who qualify to be on the ballot for the general election where everybody, regardless of how they are registered, can have a part in the election. Now possibly you might need to make an exception for the presidential election, but not for school boards, county commissioners, local officials or even senators and governors. If the parties need a selection process, let them fund it themselves. Otherwise, let's start saving money by eliminating processes that no longer have a value which matches its cost. Now in our precinct we had 244 voters or about 10%, our lowest ever. That means it cost the county at least $5 for every person who voted. One area district has just 18 of its 652 registered voters show up. So it appears that even the voters are voting against the primary just by not taking time to show up. What more proof does one need? But what will happen? Probably the obvious - talk, talk, talk - and then nothing. Does anybody really care?

No comments: