Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The GPS


We just returned from a week in Wisconsin.  It was a great trip because we were able to spend time with a special uncle and aunt who are in their mid 90's. My aunt led me to the Lord as a youngster and both of them stood with my parents when they were married.  In addition, we had a wonderful chance to spend time with my cousin Nancy and her husband Bill who run Honey Rock Camp which is part of Wheaton College's program.  We also loved northern Wisconsin with its many lakes and woods and beautiful scenery.  This was our third visit there and we'd love to return.  And since we had been there before I didn't really rely on maps because I generally knew where we were going.  However, we were surprised when our rental car included a GPS.  We had never used one before.  Where we travel we generally know where we are going and so purchasing one is an expenditure which we have never made.  But we really enjoyed using it on this trip and it did help us around a few detours.  Then the next to last day that we were in Wisconsin, we decided to visit Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison.  We had been there two years ago and were fascinated with its beautiful gardens.  Even though I thought I knew the way, I decided to use the GPS.  We had no problem getting there but on the way home I was sure it was taking us the wrong way.  It was taking us back by a different route that went through town rather than on the interstate.  So we finally stopped and tried to reprogram it.  And again it insisted that we were on the correct route.  At that point, without a map, I had no choice but to follow its directions, even though I was sure that I was correct.  But I wasn't correct - the GPS knew more that I did and we shortly reached our destination.  I should have trusted it instead of my own instinct.  Later, on the radio, I heard the old hymn "Have Thine Own Way Lord".  As I listened, the words reminded me of my recent GPS experience.  I wanted to go my way even though the GPS knew better than I did.  Isn't that the way we often treat the Lord?  He has a plan for us, He knows all of our ways, and He wants to guide us daily.  But often we think we know better and we act according to our will and wisdom and soon we are in trouble.  Fortunately, even in times like that, He is always there.  Maybe He needs to tell us "recalculating" to get our attention and get us back on the correct path.  So today as I recall my GPS experience I am reminded of the words of the hymn which say, "Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way! Thou art the Potter, I am the clay. Mold me and make me after Thy will, While I am waiting, yielded and still."   Now maybe I do need a physical GPS to help when I am driving, but I know that I do need to daily depend upon my spiritual GPS which is God's special gift.

No comments: