Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Few Observations


Just a few unrelated observations today.... A few days ago I turned on the news and saw them interview several mothers who were extremely upset that their school district has prohibited Halloween celebrations and the wearing of costumes to school.  They were upset because their kids were going to miss an "important" part of their schooling.  They wouldn't have the opportunities that their older brothers and sisters had experienced.  My reaction?  Congratulations to the schools who have taken that stand.  I think there are many more important experiences to provide for children than dressing up in a costume, especially those which represent the Satanic world. And what about those families who can't afford these fancy costumes, especially with today's economy. Are these same mothers protesting the elimination of things like Christmas carols and Christmas and Easter celebrations?  I sincerely doubt it.  And it is so sad that TV picks out folks like this to interview and seldom those who have the opposite views.  Such is the world that we live in today. ....  As we've walked mornings at Park City we have noticed some interesting happenings over the years.  One of those observations has to do with the lines that sometime form outside of stores when new products are first introduced.  The biggest lines are those that form when new sneakers or new Apple products are introduced.  Usually Park City provides extra security and ropes to keep the lines orderly.  And the lines grow as soon as the mall opens, two hours before the stores actually open.  But here is what we have observed numerous times.  When a new sneaker is introduced the lines are predominately made up of Afro-Americans.  When a new iPod or IPhone is introduced, the majority of shoppers in line are Asian.  In fact, when the new mini iPad came out a few days ago it appeared for three days that everybody waiting in line was Asian. However, we did find Caucasians standing in line - at 7:30 am at the grocery store, stocking up for the big storm .... Finally, I am following with some interest the new Keystone Exams that are being introduced this year in high schools throughout the state.  This year all juniors will be required to take these new tests in Literature, Biology and Algebra I. It doesn't matter if the student took Algebra I years ago in seventh, eighth or ninth grade.  They must still take the test this year.  Other students who are taking these courses now will be required to take them this year.  And, beginning with the Class of 2017, the students will need to pass these exams to graduate.  It is interesting since I had to fight with a former boss to even offer algebra to all students and now they will need to pass an Algebra I exam to graduate.  But the negative part of this new testing program is that students will be required to spend more valuable school time taking standardized tests.  More and more teachers will be forced to take time to prepare students for these tests rather than challenging them with many topics and applications that used to be part of a solid high school program.  But I guess this is what society really wants - measuring "success" by standardized testing.  Test, test, test! And it is just one more example of topdown decision making.  The history of education in Pennsylvania is that a governor and his cohorts decide what they think is best for schools and then pass laws to require their ideas.  And these people have never spent even a day trying to teach in a public school classroom.  But they have all the answers, afterall they once were students.  After winning the Presidential Award several years ago I had the opportunity to work with educators from all over the country.  As we compared issues, it was obvious that our state's educational leadership was sad and at times almost laughable.  In PA, education has  always been a political issue and not an educational issue and that is why we continue to lag behind others.  But then, that is no longer my problem to deal with.  And knowing my grandchildren and their abilities, I am sure that they will be able to successfully handle these new Keystone tests.  But I wonder about the very large mass of students who won't.

No comments: