Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Following Instructions


Is following directions a lost skill? When we run our election precinct many people just ignore the posted signs and directions. They enter and leave at the wrong places, despite the many signs. They complete their ballots incorrectly, ignoring posted directions. Recently I have supervised two projects involving adults and children. In both, probably 30%, didn't follow the printed instructions, creating more work for me. I am financial secretary of our church and every year, when I give out new boxes of envelopes, I include detailed instructions on how to use them. But too large a percentage of the users just ignore the written instructions and do as they want. The first week of the year at least a dozen folks used old envelopes, despite written warnings not to do this. And I could continue to provide example after example of folks not following instructions. And while it frustrates me, I shouldn't be surprised. I was a school teacher for 39 years and faced this problem regularly. But that was different. There I was the teacher and I could insist that directions be followed completely. I could reject assignments not done properly. I could deduct points for those who handed things in late, disregarding my instructions. I always felt that making my students follow directions was part of my job - teaching them a real important life skill. But did it have a lifetime effect? I really don't know, but it was worth the try. Some people are just careless and unorganized. Others feel that they have the freedom to do it their way, despite what others want. I guess some don't even realize that they aren't doing what is expected. But I guess in some ways all of us, including myself, have the same problem to some degree. How many times do we disregard reading the instructions when we get a new product and are just eager to use it quickly? We just tear open the boxes and assemble as we think it should be done. I guess we've all done that. But there is a more serious problem of not following instructions. You see, God the Creator, gave us the instructions for living the life He wants us to have. They can be found in the Bible. But how much time do we spend in His "instruction manual"? And how often do we just do what pleases us, not following His instructions. It is obvious that we live in a world that just doesn't want to follow His instructions. They want it their way. And not following God's instructions is a much more serious matter than not following the posted exit signs or using old envelopes or handing in an assignment late. The results of not following God's instructions about life can keep one from experiencing all that God wants us to experience or even worse, it could have eternal results. So during the days ahead, take time to read and follow God's written instructions to us. "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go:I will guide thee with mine eye." Psalm 32:8

No comments: