Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Happy Birthday


I passed that prime
number many decades ago
I guess I should be excited - today is my birthday.  Last week several folks reminded me of that as if it should be a very special event for me.  Without their reminders I probably wouldn't have even thought about it.  For me birthdays are usually just the same as any other day in the year. I've had plenty of them. We don't make a fuss about them.  Maybe we'll go out for dinner somewhere, but I can't say that I enjoy buffets or big expensive meals.  There never has been anything very special about my birthdays. At least I can't remember anything special. I imagine that my parents were quite excited when I was born - actually on a Palm Sunday.  And I'm sure that my grandparents on my dad's side were excited because I was the first grandchild and I am told that my aunts and uncles shared in spoiling me.  And the first couple birthdays were probably exciting, but I don't remember them.  In fact, I can't say that I recall any birthday.  Now the early excitement was probably dampened by the fact that war was raging around the world when I was born. People were probably worried and afraid.  I tried to search the internet for any significant events that happened on the day that I was born and all I could find were stories about the war.  On this day the Germans launched a joint attack on Greece and Yugoslavia, intending to invade and control both countries.  And that was about it.  Oh yes, Philip Austin, an American comedian-actor, Barbara Ann Roles, an American figure skater, and Louis Shelton, an American guitarist, were all born that day.  But who are they?  I found a newspaper that advertised Easter coats for $10.95 to $29.50, and Easter suits for $10.95 to $22.50.  And you could have one of those suits or coats cleaned for 49 cents.  And you could have had a new rubber heel placed on your shoe for 19 cents.  But that is all I could find about my birth day.  Even the hospital that I was born in, in Sunbury, was eventually replaced by a school.  So I can't even go and see where I was born.  And the parsonage that was my first home was completely remodeled and no longer looks at all like it did then.  But even though the places are gone and the war overshadowed everything else that day, I still have many great memories, not of birthdays, but  of many years of exciting times, good family, good friends, good health and a faithful God.  And what more could I want?  And so another day passes on and life moves on. I don't feel any older or different. I guess the only thing significant about this birthday is that I am now the product of five prime numbers old!  And should I reach my next birthday I will once again be a prime number old, just like I was yesterday. I guess it will be good to be in "my prime" again.  Now isn't that interesting and exciting?  Not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Barry!