Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Birthday Cards


Many old traditions are becoming a thing of the past.  One of those is the giving of birthday cards.  There are probably several reasons for this decline.  First is the cost of buying and sending cards.  A nice card can now cost nearly $5 plus postage. The second is because folks just don't care about others like they used to or they are just too busy to remember.  This year on my birthday I received three cards from relatives and six from others.  They were really appreciated, especially since a couple came from folks who surprised me. This year I did miss receiving a humorous card from my best friend, Jim, who passed away over a year ago. Last year I did receive one, two months after his death.  He had picked it out for me months before that. Now some folks have gone to sending electronic cards. I admit that we often use these to congratulate folks on their anniversary. They usually are free, cost nothing to send, and can be very attractive.  And while they are better than receiving nothing at all, they just aren't quite the same as receiving one in the "snail" mail, especially if it includes a personal comment  But they at least show some kindness from the one who took time to e-mail it.  For many years we - or I should say my wife - have made it a point to send birthday cards not only to our relatives but also to most of our friends, especially those from church.  It takes much time and it does cost us some money to do this, but we send out several dozen each month.  We really do it as a ministry of encouragement and friendship.  And quite often we receive very positive feedback of sincere appreciation for the cards, even from teens who often don't express appreciation. And many look forward to this card since they receive so few, especially from non family members.  Recently a mother and father in our church came to thank us not only for their cards, but especially for those sent to their children.  Now my conclusion is that in the rush of this technological world people need friends who really care and take time to show it.  And they sincerely appreciate those who do care and demonstrate it, even if it is with something small like the giving of a birthday card That can be money very well spent.

No comments: