Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Being A Care-giver


     I feel so sorry for spouses who must serve for a long period of time as the care giver for their mate.  The burden of doing this day by day while watching your mate in pain and becoming more dependent is a very heavy one.  But the vows we take when we get married say ... "in sickness and health".  We just hope that it is always in health.  My wife has lovingly cared for me several times following surgeries but in those cases we knew healing would soon come.  But still, I often told her that I was so sorry that she had to take care of me.  And I thanked her for doing it.  Recently the tables were turned and I had to care for her after surgery and I smiled as she then would say, "I'm so sorry that you must do this for me." 
     Now most would not consider her hernia surgery as being major surgery, and in one sense is wasn't.  Actually, major surgery is when it is being done to you.  One of our doctors told us that anytime you are being cut open it is major.  I admit that I was very apprehensive because my wife has anemia, ulcerative colitis, heart and blood pressure problems.  But I learned numerous lessons going through this brief care giving experience.  I learned that there can be so much anxiety when you are sitting in the waiting room waiting for the surgery to be over and you don't know what is happening. It would have been nice to have someone to talk to, making the time go faster. But thankfully the Lord was with me. But when the operation went past the expected hour I began to think of all sorts of things.  When I was finally told that the doctor was coming out to talk to me and I then waited for another 15 minutes for this to happen, my imagination began to run wild once again.  Eventually the doctor assured me that she would be out soon and that she was fine. But I didn't expect "soon" to be another hour.  I was relieved when I finally was allowed to be with her in the recovery room.  However, I did have a tough time watching her in pain and enduring the shakes which they said was from the anesthesia.

The first night or two at home can also be long nights.  At times you feel so helpless and you think morning light will never come.  I am not a good cook but I was prepared with things that I could heat in the microwave or easily prepare on the stove.  I didn't think I would need any help with food.  But when a friend brought soup and a cooked meal for us, I was so thankful and relieved.  I learned how nice it must be to get meals from friends when you are busy caring for your patient.  That meal was certainly welcome and a major help.  I did handle the food for several days and learned some important lessons.  I learned that when you drop a container of ice cubes, the cubes will slide to every corner of the kitchen.  And when you drop a container of macaroni salad, it never drops the way it was held, and it isn't much fun cleaning macaroni salad off the kitchen floor.  But we survived.
I also learned how much the patient appreciates cards and personal notes - my wife did receive a few of those.  You also appreciate hearing from folks who prayed for you and want to know how you are doing.  Besides family members, I think my wife had two such calls and three e-mails.  And a few inquired about her at church on Sunday. We had asked over 100 folks to pray for her and I am sure a number of them did.  But it was nice to hear that a few actually remembered and followed up their prayers with some sort of contact.  I learned how much personal contact is appreciated by not only the patient but also by the care giver who is often weary with a load of unfamiliar duties and often a little lonely without personal contacts from others.  Being confined to home is hard on both.
But I guess the biggest lesson that I learned, once again, is that God is good and in control.  He is always present. And, unlike humans, he never forgets us or forsakes us. He knows our needs.  He provides wisdom, strength and peace when we need it.  And while I hope that neither of us ever have to serve as longtime caregivers for each other, I am confident that if we ever must, then He will be there to help us even if we are alone.  He is a faithful Father.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Thank you dear.