Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What Do You Want To Be?


As you were growing up, what did you dream about becoming as an adult?  Did your dream come true?  How does your present situation compare to what you dreamed about as a teenager.  I'm not sure that I had many dreams or hopes about jobs during those years.  I probably thought about becoming a newspaper reporter or editor or sports statistician because I did that regularly from the time I was in seventh grade until a few years ago. In fact, after two years of teaching I was offered a job in sports public relations at Wagner College in Staten Island.  I often wonder what would have happened in our lives if I had taken that position. I probably also thought about doing something in ministry because of many influential family members and friends who were in ministry.  But the Lord never directed me that way.  I went to Susquehanna University intending to be an engineer and while I earned straight A's in my Physics and Chemistry courses, I found that I didn't have enough common sense and natural ability, like my father, to be a success.  It wasn't until I taught a lesson in a Vector Analysis class that I really understood that I should be a teacher. My professor's comments really encouraged me. My student teaching experience confirmed that - actually I know now it was the Lord confirming that in my heart.  And for 39 years I thoroughly loved being in the classroom.  And I do miss the classroom and students - but not all the paper work and state testing and all the other things that have gotten in the way of teaching.  
     Today schools try to get students to begin a career path as early as seventh grade.  And I wonder how many kids really know what they want to do at that level.  Then we ship kids off to college and spend thousands of dollars hoping that they will end up in a career.  But many don't.  I've always felt that for many teens - especially boys - that they would be better going to work for a few years before making a college choice.  They need time to grow up and learn where their abilities and interests really are and it would also give them time to earn some money before going deep into debt for college.  And college is not for everyone - many would do better in trade or vocational schools.  
     Now how did I get on this subject?  It is the result of a recent blog that I read that made me think about what I had wanted to be.  The blog stated "Remember back when you were a kid? What was your dream job?  Linked In did a survey and this is what they discovered.
Women -
11.4% wanted to be teachers.
9% wanted to be vets.
8.1% wanted to be writers.
7.1% wanted to be singers.
7.1% wanted to work in the medical field: doctors, nurses, paramedics.
Men -
8.2% wanted to be athletes.
6.8% wanted to be pilots.
6.8% wanted to be scientists.
5.9% wanted to be lawyers
5% wanted to be astronauts.
Interestingly, only 1 in 11 actually ended up doing their dream job. How about you?"
     The lesson that should be learned is that we need to commit our ways and our futures to the Lord.  And often that is easier said than done, especially as a teen facing college.  But as we seek His will and follow Godly advice, He will open and close doors and lead us to where He wants us to be, even as adults.  Proverbs 3:5,6, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

No comments: