Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Three Special Mothers


           As we celebrate another Mother's Day I am reminded of three of my mothers who had a profound impact on my life in various days.  There were a number of things that all three had in common.  First, they loved and served the Lord faithfully.  Second, they went through very difficult times, including the depression.  Third, they trusted the Lord and He took care of them in both the good and tough times.  Fourth, they were caring and loving and resourceful.  And fifth, they loved and cared for me and prayed for me regularly.
         The first one of the three was my mother.  When she was married, jobs were scarce and we moved numerous times.  In fact, until I was in fourth grade we had moved nine times. Mother cared for us and supported dad as he worked numerous part time jobs to support us. She never complained. My parents couldn't even afford a car until I was in first grade.  But somehow we managed to get to church each week, sometimes by bus or by train or with a friend.  I learned how important it was to be in the house of the Lord regularly. She also learned how to care for us without much money. Once in awhile she would have an extra quarter and she would send me to the store to purchase a bottle of soda for us to enjoy.  That was a special treat!  As I grew older, mother was very active in Christian service.  She taught a Good News Club in our basement for many years.  There I learned how to teach and reach kids for the Lord.  She was active in church as a Sunday School teacher and in the Women's Missionary Society.  She had the gift of hospitality and we were always hosting visiting missionaries and pastors.  The Lord was first in all that happened in our home and family life. And she always had time to help us and care for her children and grandchildren.  She was a faithful volunteer at the county home where she helped many helpless folks.  As I grew older she was my supporter and encourager.  She was always ready to listen.  And today I really miss that.  I often wish that I could still drop by to chat with her or call her on the phone to tell her what is happening.  But over 20 years ago the Lord saw fit to take her home as a result of an auto crash.  Her life ended too soon, but she is so much better off where she is now.  Thank you Lord for a special mother.
          The second special mother was my grandmother, Esther Wolf.  She faced much tragedy in her life.  When she was a young girl her father, a pastor, died and the children were raised by different people.  When she was married and had my father and was pregnant with his sister, her husband, Rev. H. A. Kauffman, died unexpectedly of the Spanish flu.  The presiding elder arranged a second marriage to Rev. Norman H. Wolf.  And for many decades they served together successfully in numerous churches.  She was a tremendous supporter of his ministry.  They, too, never had much in the way of material goods living on a pastor's salary, but they showed a profound faith in the Lord and He provided all that they needed.  As their first grandchild I had the privilege of spending many times with them. In fact, during the early days of my life, my mother and I lived with them because, as a beginning teacher, my father's salary wasn't enough to provide a home. He had to work out of the area and come home on weekends. And I guess they, as well as my aunts, spoiled me and got attached to me. Growing up, almost every summer I would visit my grandparents for at least a week. I looked forward to that.  I used to love the evenings when we would go for a picnic at Monacacy Park in Bethlehem.  After eating, grandpa would go visit members of his congregation and grandma and I would play games until he returned. Those days provided such special memories. But maybe the biggest impact on me came during my college days when for three years I spent each Friday through Sunday with them.  They would often host missionaries and pastors in their home and I would get to listen and share. She taught me to like salads - how could you refuse your grandmother.  At other times I would get to talk to grandma and I gained so much from her wisdom.  Later I remember how much she enjoyed seeing our three boys.  Her final days of suffering with cancer and then her funeral are still vivid in my mind.  I was blest to be her grandson.  Thank you Lord for such a special grandmother.
         The third special mother was my mother-in-law, Mary Bickle.  Now many folks make jokes about mother-in-laws, but I could never do that about mine.  She, too, was a very special godly mother.  She also had a very difficult life and they also moved numerous times until they purchased the Tulpehocken Water Company and settled outside of Sunbury.  In those days she worked many hours to help make the business go and to provide the necessities for her family.  But her hard work and her sincere faith in the Lord pulled her through those difficult times.  She, too, learned how to make much out of little.  She found time to be active in various ways in the Lord's work, teaching, leading and serving.  And she raised two godly daughters for which I am eternally grateful.  And she loved me and accepted me.  For my final year of college she opened their home to us when we couldn't afford to rent an apartment.  And then for three summers, while I did my master's work at  Bucknell, she again welcomed us into their home for six weeks each summer.  I didn't realize until later in life how much extra work that required of her.  But she lovingly took care of us and always welcomed us.  She, too, was a special mother who challenged me with her faith in the Lord and her special concern for others.  Lord, thank you for a special mother-in-law.
            As some of you may know, the Lord has given me a very special heritage of family members who have served the Lord faithfully.  Three of my aunts have also been great influences on me - Thelma Smock, Beatrice Derck and Ellen Derck.  All three cared for me when I was a baby and lived in their home and their care extended throughout all of our lives.  Today Aunt Ellen is still one of the few people I know who prays for me daily.  And that is a very special blessing.  Thank you Lord for my special heritage.

No comments: