Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Encouragement, Part 1


           Encourage- give support, confidence, or hope to (someone).   Have you ever been encouraged by somebody?  How did it affect you?   Or a better question, how often do you attempt to encourage others?  I believe the action of encouragement is one of the most important actions that two people can have between them.  It is so important in my opinion that I will attempt to devote three blogs to this topic.  While this one will deal with some general views and opinions, the next two blogs will deal with two specific ways that I have been encouraged.

            1 Thessalonians 5:11  "Therefore comfort each other and edify one another."
          Now, if you are like me, receiving genuine encouragement doesn't happen too frequently, especially if you are in a leadership role.  While we appreciate encouragement from others, encouraging others doesn't seem to be part of our nature.  Maybe that is why we sometimes need to schedule it.  For example, October has been set aside as Pastor Appreciation Month.  Now that is great, but why must we be reminded, once a year, to encourage our pastors.  It seems as though that should be done regularly throughout the year.  But, in most cases, it probably doesn't happen, so we schedule a particular time to make it happen.
          Maybe encouragement is on my mind because of a thank you card that I recently received.  In the card the writer expressed sincere appreciation for a ministry job that I do every week.  This was extra special because it was only the second time in 12 years that such appreciation was expressed to me for this work . And this note has been a real encouragement to me.  Do I serve for the praise of men?  Certainly not.  Did I need this encouragement?  Not really, but it certainly was special and uplifting.
          I think it is vital for leaders to regularly encourage those who serve under them, especially when those folks are volunteers.  I have always tried to make this a priority with those I taught, those I supervised in school, and those that I led in Awana.  In most cases this was appreciated and was helpful to them.  Generally they were encouraged and so was I.  My brother, Terry, was a great encourager and he always went out of his way to show appreciation to those he knew.
         But sometimes, even with good intentions, our most sincere efforts to encourage do fail.  For many years I have organized a special banquet to honor and thank our volunteer Awana staff for serving.  Our cost to do this has been about $2,000 annually which has been covered by some special contributions.  About 70% of the staff come and have a great time.  They look forward to it and talk about it for months.  But about 30% choose not to attend.  I guess I will never fully understand that.  But at least I have been sincere and have tried to encourage them.  
          Now if you are going to be an encourager, you need to be careful and sincere and not over do it.  There are a few folks that I know who are always so positive that their appreciation at times almost seems programmed and insincere.  You know the compliments are always going to come from them and you must consider how meaningful it really is.  But folks like that are in the vast minority.  Most never say anything positive.
         Now let me challenge you to think of some folks that you know and can encourage this week.  Think of those who work quietly behind the scenes and who are faithful in serving. Think of those who are facing tough times and challenges. Think of those who might be discouraged or even getting weary in well doing.  We don't need to schedule another special month or holiday to do this.  It should be a natural action from our hearts and should be motivated by 1 Thessalonians 5:11.
        Now let me clarify something. Folks shouldn't serve just to receive praise. I Peter 4:11 reminds us "If anyone serves, he should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised."  But even though the praise should be God's, it is still nice to know once in awhile that others around you appreciate what you do.  Be an encourager.
         "May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word."  2 Thessalonians 2:16-27.
Now by His grace, the Lord has provided two special sources of encouragement to me that have helped me over and over throughout my life.  They will be the topics of my next two blogs.

No comments: