Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Be thankful!



        This season always reminds us to be thankful, an attitude which we should really experience every day of the year.  But I believe there is some value once in awhile to actually take time to write down some of the things that are special to you.  As the old hymn says, "Count your many blessings, name them one by one, count your many blessings, see what God has done."   So here is my list.

  1.    My spiritual blessings:   I am so thankful for the wondrous gift that Jesus provided for me.  I am thankful that at a very early age I realized my need for Him and claimed Him as my Savior.  I am thankful for the many years I have had to walk with Him, experience His guidance, and see Him answer my prayers.  Life would really be meaningless without this relationship. 
  2.   My wife:  The Lord has blessed me with a special wife who has also become my closest friend.  We have had the joy of spending over a half century together, raising a family and serving the Lord together.  I could never have predicted how He would have brought our lives together, but I am sure that He had this all planned even before we were born.
  3.   My family:  The Lord has provide me with three wonderful sons who love and serve the Lord.  In turn he added to our family three special daughter in laws and seven wonderful grandchildren.  These have all been special blessings and I thank Him for how they have enriched my life.
  4.   My heritage:  I have a godly heritage!  On my father's side my heritage goes back many generations with ancestors who have loved and served the Lord. I could not have asked for better parents. They showed me how to trust the Lord in all situations.  My grandparents on my father's side were godly people who were special examples to me.  My father's family all made major impacts upon my life by their interest in me, their examples to me, and their ministry as true prayer warriors.  And through these relationships I was introduced to many other servants of God who impacted me in so many ways.  For this I am profoundly thankful.
  5.  My career:  There are few people who have been blest to have a job for 39 years that they thoroughly enjoyed.  I loved my work and there were very few days that I didn't enjoy going to work. The Lord blessed me with gifts of teaching, creativity and leadership.  To me the classroom was fun and I do miss it. And the Lord provided me with so many other opportunities and contacts related to my job that were "icing on the cake".  In addition He gave me numerous part-time jobs that were interesting and enabled my wife to serve as a mother and housewife.  What wonderful blessings He provided.
          6.   Ministry Opportunities:  I am so thankful that over the years the Lord has allowed me to serve Him in so many different ways. Before going to college it was teaching children in CEF and Sunday School. For many years it was serving as an elder and Sunday School teacher.  For 25 years it was through a family ministry doing over 100 programs a year.  For 33 years it has been with Awana.  Over the years it has been being able to serve on the boards of various Christian organizations.  In recent years, when I've become "too old" to be needed or really wanted anymore in leadership and teaching positions in church, I have been able to serve, behind the scenes, as financial secretary of our church and as a helper in Awana. And we're still needed to minister about three times a year at Pinebrook.  I thank the Lord for these very special opportunities to serve Him over my lifetime.
          7.   Material Blessings:  I have never had a high paying job - I started teaching at $3,500 per year.  I have never received a bonus or a Christmas gift from an employer.  We have never been able to take great vacations or buy expensive items.  But the Lord has not only met every need that we have had, but he has often provided more than we needed.  We've learned early in life that all we have is really the Lord's and we've tried to honor Him with all He has provided, and He has blessed us.  We have a home, we have cars, we have clothing, we have plenty to eat, and I even have a good pension.  Thank you Lord for being so good to us.
  8.   Health:   Life is not without its challenges.  I have had eight surgeries over my lifetime.  I live with cancer and two other challenging physical conditions.  There are some things that I can no longer do.  But I have had 73 good years.  Most of my good friends have not lived nearly that long and I really miss them.  But God has been good to me and I thank Him daily.  I don't know how many more years He'll give me here, but I pray that I may use the days He provides me to praise Him and serve Him.
  9.   My country:  I have been extremely blessed to have been born in the United States.  I would not want to reside elsewhere.  I thank Him for the years of liberty and the freedom I have experienced and enjoyed here.  And while those liberties are being threatened and we have growing disorder and threats that we've never faced before, there is still no better place on this earth.  Thank you Lord.
          10.   My hope:  For years folks have looked for the return of Christ.  And while it would seem to be close, based on recent world events, it might not happen in my lifetime.  But even if it doesn't happen while I am here, I have His promise that one day I will be with Him in a home He is preparing for me.  And with that knowledge and hope I can face tomorrow.  Thank you Lord for your promises.
  There is much more that I could say.  I have so much to be thankful for. For example, I could thank Him for the beauty of the Fall.  But this list would just go on and on.  Why don't you take time this season to pause and journal things that you are thankful for.  It will encourage your heart.

No comments: