Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Power Saver



         It was 20 years ago that we remodeled our kitchen.  At that time we had a new microwave built in above our stove.  For two decades it met all of our needs and we often took that for granted.  Then last winter it just died!
So we headed to out favorite appliance dealer, L. H. Brubaker.  Fortunately we found that over two decades the measurements stayed practically the same, except that they were just a little deeper.  No problem.  But there were so many options now available and dozens to choose from and this made purchasing difficult  We chose a basic model with all the features that we felt we needed.  They installed it for us and remarked that now microwaves only last seven to ten years.  They must cut down the quality to produce extra sales over the years.
For ten months the new one worked perfectly.  We were pleased. Then suddenly one day we found that the clock would suddenly shut off.  When you opened the door the clock would come on and stay on ...  for about a minute.  Then it would shut off.
So we stopped by the store and asked if there was something that we were doing wrong with the settings.  They didn't know but referred us to an employee who they said knew everything about microwaves.  When we talked to him he concluded that we needed a new panel and a new clock.  Since it was still under the guarantee we asked him to order the needed part.
Well a week later the repairman showed up with the needed parts.  Like us, he was perplexed by the problem.  He asked to read our manual just as I had done when it first went bad.  He almost gave up when he found a little information at the end of the book about a power saver button.  As he experimented he found out that the only indication that this function is in use is ... the clock display shuts off when the microwave is not being used.  Everything else, including the lights and fans, still works ... but not the clock display.  So since the power saver had accidentally been activated, the clock was shutting off.  No repair needed.
After he left I did some investigation online and found that if activated, this feature saves up to 20% of the power use when the microwave is not being used.  And the clock still maintains the correct time even though it is not displayed. This is unique to GE microwaves.  Not a bad feature, if it actually works.  And 20% savings is nice.  However, why don't they explain this in the manual.  There is no explanation there telling what it actually does.  And the microwave guru and the repairman didn't even know about this.
So now we are saving energy. We've activated the button. We just can't read the clock display.  But 20% is 20%!
Now I've been thinking, wouldn't it be nice if our bodies had a "power saver" button.  We could just push it when we had no work to do and we could save and build up our energy.  That would be a great feature for those of us who are growing older and have less energy than we used to.  But wait a minute, I think the Creator did take care of that.  Instead of a button, he used something called ... a "nap".  And the older I get, the more I appreciate and need that function.
Guess I'll sit down now and activate my "power saver".  I love it!

No comments: