Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Sunday Plans



        We were looking forward to Sunday.  As usual we had expected to spend time in worship and fellowship at church.  Then we were going to have the family at our house for Sunday dinner (homemade chicken pot pie!) to celebrate our grandson's 21st birthday.  Sundays are always special days, but this one was to be extra special.
          And, according to the weather guys, while some snow was coming Saturday, it was just to be a coating to an inch or two here in Millersville and the temperatures were to climb into the 40's by Sunday morning.  This certainly would not disrupt our plans.  But since when are the weather guys right?  Their predictions are almost as bad as baseball players who get millions for failing three times our of four when they bat.  But at least I guess the weather guys don't get millions for their guesses.
          Anyway, the first setback came on Saturday when the predictions became worse.  Our grandson had planned to go to college after work on Saturday to complete a five hour chem lab with his lab partner.  The snow and the dangerous driving conditions made that too risky.  So we suggested moving his special dinner to next Sunday so that he could complete the lab Sunday afternoon.  All agreed to this and while it was a minor setback, it wasn't serious because we were able to reschedule it without a problem. Our only problem is that we also host our small group that evening.  But we will handle both.  Incidentally, the weather guys are now hinting about more snow next weekend.
           But we still had church to look forward to.  On Sundays I just need to be in church.  I always have been and as long as I am able, I always will be there.  Now I admit that I don't enjoy the music  - I prefer the hymns and the drums sometimes give me headaches.  But I have accepted the changes knowing that the music does honor the Lord and many do enjoy it.  Our special music is exceptional and professionally done, but again, at times I miss hearing "average" musicians who share from their hearts and experiences as they minister.  Our preaching is excellent and helpful and a major reason to attend.  Strangely I miss the fellowship.  I say that because, beside my family members, I really don't have close friends there anymore. If I don't greet folks, seldom would anyone greet me. If they do greet me it is usually the passing "How are you" and as they move on I know they really don't want to know.  I would not be missed if I wasn't there, but I still miss being a part of the many who attend.  This is my church home and has been for 65 years.  I need this opportunity to worship and the week just isn't right when I can't be there.
           Well, my plans were to get up at 6 am and clear the driveway and the walks so that we could leave for church by 8:15.  But at 6 am I was shocked to hear that our services were canceled.  I had anticipated that the first service might be called off, but not all of them. We had made it to church last week when the weather was actually worse  So I decided to just stay in bed a little longer and worship by listening to the beautiful hymns on WDAC.  One of my favorite things each weekend is to listen to this station because on Friday and Saturday nights they play my kind of music throughout the entire night.  So for over two hours I was able to worship in bed by listening and praying.
          Then it was up to do one of my least favorite things - clear the snow.  Both my wife and I are presently in physical therapy so I refused to allow my wife to help me this time.  One of my sons called and offered to come and help, but I refused.  He has a bad cold and shouldn't be doing it either. I went solo.  So for the next hour I cleared the driveway and front walk.  Later in the day I went back out to clear the side drive, our one car and some of the remaining walks.  Thank the Lord for a snow blower that starts.  Unfortunately my back and muscles don't respond quite as well anymore.  But the blower and I made it.
         The remainder of the day I did a variety of things including spending considerable time writing a few new blogs for my weekly hymn blog.  This is not a substitute for being in church but it did give me a chance to worship by meditating on and writing about the many great themes and words penned by believers over the years.  I love and miss the great hymns of the faith.  Many share great truths and doctrine.  Many share personal experiences that the authors have had in their Christian walk.  Many are ingrained in my memory and so often the Lord allows me to recall these just when I need them.
          But I am reminded that this is the day which the Lord hath made.  It might not have been what I had anticipated and I have greatly missed the weekly assembling together of the saints. God had other plans for me this Sunday.  And God has been with me - even when I was laboring to shovel the snow!   God is good, all the time.

No comments: