Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, June 12, 2015

A Very Special Day


          Today is a very special day in my life.  It is an anniversary of mine that almost nobody even knows about.  It is a special day that is never celebrated, even though it was a day that changed my life. And I don't expect any cards or parties or even congratulations.  But today is my 70th birthday.
         Now those of you who know me say that this just isn't so. Have you really lost it? Your birthday is April 6, not June 12.  And we didn't see it listed in the church bulletin or even projected on the screen at church.  And I am sure that you are older than 70 - at least you look like you are.  And you are right.
         For you see, today is my 70th spiritual birthday.  It was June 12, 1945 that I accepted the Lord as my Savior.  It was my Aunt Ellen who prayed with me when I made that decision in what was then the church parsonage in Sunbury.  I don't know too much about all that happened, but I knew I was a sinner and that Jesus had died to forgive my sins.  And I knew that I wanted to go to heaven.  That all was very clear to me at that time.
          Now I will admit, that I knew very, very little about doctrine ...  redemption, justification, grace, mercy, election, free will, crowns, Holy Spirit were not part of my vocabulary then and I certainly couldn't have even begun to explain them then ... and maybe I still don't fully comprehend them.  But, even as a child, I knew and understood the basics of the Gospel and what Jesus had done for me.  I didn't know it then, but the Holy Spirit had prepared my heart and in childlike faith I believed and responded and I was saved for eternity.
          And I guess the power of that experience has made me really believe that children can become part of the family of God.  And while there is always the danger that we press a child into making a decision before he understands it or having a child respond to us because he likes us, I believe that the Holy Spirit can prepare the hearts of children as He did in my life.  Research has shown that 85% of Christians accepted Christ between 4 and 14 years of age.  What a major mission field.
           Now over the years I grew in the Lord and learned more about Him and His Word.  And I am still learning today.  Thankfully the Lord put many strong believers and examples in my life over the years - my parents, my grandparents, my uncles and aunts, caring pastors and missionaries and a number of close friends.  I am so thankful for my legacy both before and since my birth.  God has been so good and faithful to me.  Great is His faithfulness.
          And the Lord provided me opportunities to serve and grow with my "drug" problem.  You see I was "drug" to church from the day I was born.  Whenever the church had a service, we were there, day and night.  We entertained missionaries in our home.  We ran CEF classes in our home.  I worked at our church camp, Mizpah Grove, several summers while in junior and senior high school.  As a high school student I taught Sunday School and even led the church choir.  And since then the Lord has multiplied opportunities to serve Him ... a family ministry for 25 years, Sunday School teacher and superintendent, church elder for 30 + years, on boards of several Christian organizations, financial secretary for 15 years, Awana for 33 years, Pinebrook for 40+ years, etc.  
          It has been a blessing to have walked with the Lord for 70 years.  I don't know how many more years I will have, but there is no retirement in Christian service, just new and different opportunities.  And my desire is to keep walking with Him daily as long as my life here shall last and then to spend eternity serving and worshipping Him in Heaven.  God has been so good!

No comments: