Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, July 11, 2016

The Good!


      In my last blog I listed a number of things that upset me.  Maybe I gave the wrong impression.  I try not to be a negative person, but I think we all have things which bother us at times.  So to try and balance the scales, I've decided to list a few things which I do appreciate.
       Despite some rude folks, I am impressed with the number of folks who have opened and held doors for me while I was using my walker or my cane.  It is great to see that many still have good manners and consideration for those who have physical limitations.
       Drivers earn my smile and appreciation when they wave to thank me for letting them out at a busy corner or in a parking lot.  It only takes a few seconds to help a person in such a situation and it is great when others recognize that deed with a thank you.
       There are many drivers who actually do slow down when they pass me at my mailbox.  Once in awhile one will even stop to let me safely cross the street to my house.
       Recently we received a very unexpected note of encouragement and appreciation from a couple in our congregation.  We never expected this and we were surprised.  It was very appreciated and meaningful to us.  While some have the gift of encouragement, it is something that we all should practice.
       I appreciate those who really care when they ask "how are you?"   Most times it is just a passing comment without any meaning.  But during these past months of rehabilitation from two major surgeries, it has been nice when somebody stopped to ask that and really wanted to hear how things were going.
       I really appreciate doctors who are on time and I have a few who are.  Mosts doctors ask you to come 15 minutes early and then make you wait another 30 minutes until they see you.  Opps, I guess that is a negative and shouldn't be in this blog.  Now I know doctors can be very busy, especially with emergencies, but I really appreciate those who value my time and try to be on time, yet take the time to listen to me
       I appreciate good salespeople who are there to help you when you need help, but aren't there to "bug" you and pressure you.  Good customer service is a plus in my estimation.
       I really appreciate good music, especially good Gospel music.  I love the old hymns as well as the new choruses when they are doctrinally correct.  I especially love music about heaven.  I love to hear good piano music and solos by cellos and trombones.
       I appreciate it when others follow instructions and make my work easier and lighter by taking time to do things correctly.  When you have a heavy workload, it is great when others go out of their way to help you by doing things correctly.
       I love to see older folks who love the Lord and glow with his radiance after spending years serving Him and growing closer to Him.  They are special people that God brings into your life and I hope that someday others may see that in me.
       I get excited when I see my children and grandchildren doing well in their schooling and jobs while growing in the Lord and serving Him.  That is a very special blessing.
       And finally, I appreciate those who smile.  Somehow we seem to get too busy with work, dealing with problems, and carrying our burdens, that we forget to smile.  If I may paraphrase a saying, A smile is the flag flown from the heart when the King is in residence there.
        So there you are - some of the things that I appreciate and make me smile.  Maybe I'll add some more in a later blog.  We have so many things to appreciate when the Lord is our King and provider.  Great is His faithfulness.
        May you have a very positive day!   Smile, God is good!

No comments: