Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

August Traditions


          There are some things that you can always count on when August rolls around ... for example, hot and humid weather, thunderstorms, football practice, fresh corn, tomatoes, back to school sales, zinnias and sunflowers.  Daylight begins to decrease and hints of fall begin to appear.
           But a few things can change. Enjoying my crop of ripe tomatoes has become a thing of the past, even though I had enjoyed this for decades.  If you  are a regular reader of my blogs you might recall that last year I gave up digging a plot and growing loads of great tomatoes - it just became too much work for me (June 2015).  So instead I tried using special growing boxes which cost me a small fortune.  But all my tomatoes developed a rot and we had none to eat (July 2015).  What a disappointment.
          So I contacted the company that sold me these growing boxes and they said I had to add another chemical which they sold to me.  I tried it once again with just three plants.  The results were the same, although we did salvage two to eat.  I contacted the company again and they said that I need to add several more things.  I said forget it.  You've gotten my hard earned money twice. In the future the local garden stands will get my money.  So I guess my new August tradition will be buying tomatoes someone else has grown.

          Then there are some summer events which I wish wouldn't happen.  One of these is the annual return of the cicadas.   And they are back.  And along with them come the cicada killers which seem to have adopted our yard (Aug 2013).  They dig tunnels to bury their captured cicadas and these make our backyard look like a battle ground.  And they have also appeared again although they don't seem to be quite as numerous this year.  They are interesting to observe but they are destructive.  I just wish they would choose somebody else's yard to attack.
          But this August one of my favorite things has returned.  It comes back every four years - the Olympics.  And we are enjoying the action  Thanks to NBC almost all of the events can be watched on television, from morning to night.
          So far I have especially enjoyed the women's gymnastics.  The U.S. women had probably the best team ever and they whipped everybody else.  Each member was spectacular and one has to wonder how these women can jump and twist and tumble as they do.   It takes all that I can do just to get out of my chair when they are done.
           Suprisingly I have also enjoyed the hockey probably because the team trained just a few miles from here and one of the players came from the high school  (Penn Manor) where I taught and another came from the one where I went to high school (Warwick).  I never have enjoyed hockey, but this has been exciting to watch. The blue field makes it more interesting because you can now follow the ball.  These girls are very skilled and well trained. I don't know how far they will go, but I hope they can at least earn a medal.
          Volleyball has always been one of my favorite sports.  There have been many exciting matches so far with some tough ones still ahead.  But I really like the beach volleyball.  That is a demanding sport which is very challenging to play and fun to watch.  I also enjoy the basketball although since most of the players for most of the teams are professionals it does detract a little from my interest.
         And of course there is the swimming.  I'm not a big swimming fan but it is easy to get caught up in all the hype that is involved in these events, especially when they involve Michael Phelps.  The events have been filled with close finishes and record smashing performances.  And I find these events amazing because I can barely float, let alone do all these different strokes without drowning.
          Then there is diving, soccer, judo, fencing, rugby, golf, tennis, archery, biking and many more events which I guess are interesting to some but don't rank too high in my interest.  I do miss softball and I understand that they are bringing that back - in four years.
          However, the Olympics don't really start for me until this weekend when track and field finally begin.  To me this is the most exciting part of the Olympics, maybe because I coached and judged these events for many years.  So let the excitement begin!
          I guess the other thing that I like about August is the anticipation of what comes next - the Fall with football, especially Penn State football, cooler temperature and beautiful Fall leaves.  Bring it on, I am ready!
          

No comments: