Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

My Favorites Over The Years


          Television continues to be a big part of most people's lives, maybe too big for many.  However, the programming has changed over the years and it is getting harder to find good shows to watch, especially for families.
          When it comes to what I view, I will admit that my favorite things to watch are sporting events.  Of course, number one would be Penn State football.  Next might be the college football play-offs and a bowl game, especially  if Penn State is in it.  Next would be the NCAA basketball tournament, from the play-in games to the national championship.  The NFL play-offs also rank high for me.  Sometimes the Eagles and Phillies might be next, depending upon what types of seasons they are having.  Oh yes, then every four years I love the summer Olympics.  I can't get too excited about pro basketball, soccer, hockey or tennis.  But once in awhile a good golf tournament will attract my interest.
         Now there have been many other non sport shows which I have enjoyed over 60+ years of television watching.  Wow, that is a long time.  I wonder how many hours I've invested (or wasted) during all those years.  I guess that I really don't want to know the answer to that. I've had a few favorites over the years.  Here are 12 of them, in no particular order.
         When I think of the early days of television I think of Sid Ceasar and Imogene Coca and a few other comedians on what I think was called The Show of Shows.   It was genuine, clean comedy at its best.  But those were different times.
         About that time there was a weekly music show which might have been titled the Hit Parade.  The show featured various artists singing the top ten songs of the week, starting from number ten up to number one.  In those days the music was good, singable and easy to listen to and I really enjoyed their presentations.  I think it might have been a Saturday night show - but that was a few decades ago.
          And then who could skip I Love Lucy, the best of the comedy shows, whose reruns are still featured today.  Lucille Ball was one of the best, if not the best, of the comedians.  Her programs where she crushed grapes and packed candy are classics.
          Recently I have actually learned to enjoy watching the reruns of MASH.  I never really watched the show when it was originally shown, but I have recently learned to enjoy it.  I understand it was Joe Paterno's favorite show, for whatever that is worth.
          Two classic family comedy series rank among my favorites.  First there is Home Improvement, with Tim Allen.  It was a hilarious comedy as "Tim the Toolman" dealt with his family and his television show.  Good clean show with lots of laughs.  Then there also was Everybody Loves Raymond.  What a great cast that worked so well together to produce hilarious family situations that made you laugh.  I was sorry to see this show end and I still enjoy watching the reruns and laughing at the family relationships.  I recently saw the one where the mother drove the car into Raymond's living room.  Too funny!  Why aren't their more funny family shows like these today?.
          Then there are the detective type shows.  NCIS certainly ranks high in my book for entertainment.  Some of its spin-offs are also fine, but not quite as good as the original.  I would also rank Blue Bloods just as high.  The story of the commissioner of the New York City police and his family is always interesting and filled with situations which the police and city actually face today.  And the emphasis on family and good ethics is commendable in my opinion.  I might also put Scorpion in this ranking, although it is still too new to know how long it can keep up its popularity.  With very high IQ's, this young team is sent to solve all sorts of impossible problems.
          In another category I would place The Amazing Race and America's Got Talent.  In the Race we get to see pictures of exciting places all over the world and the contestants are called upon to do all sorts of amazing and difficult challenges.  It is an amazing production.  In the talent show people demonstrate all sorts of skills and talents in an attempt to win a million dollars.  I think it is an exciting competition with both crazy and talented competitors.
          Now I've saved my favorite to last.  I have always enjoyed the funny episodes of Hogan's Heroes.  I've watched the shows once, twice and probably three times and have never tired of watching Hogan battle the Germans with Sgt. Schultz and Col. Klink.  The war would have ended sooner if the Germans really would have been that stupid.  Presently I stay up to watch the 10:30 showing on ME TV, every weeknight, and I just hope they never take it off the air.  It's always good for 30 minutes of laughing.
          Now, even though it is probably worth nothing, there are my favorite 12.  But it was very hard to narrow it down and in doing so I've left out shows like Happy Days, Laugh In, Castle, Mission Impossible, the A Team, Duck Dynasty, Get Smart, Dick Van Dyke Show, Madam Secretary, Candid Camera and many others.
          There have been many good shows over the years.  However, I am finding it more difficult to find good ones today, especially comedy shows.  It is sad that shows today need to include sex, to put down fathers, to feature violence, and to promote gay and lesbian lifestyles.  Oh for the good old days when comedy was clean and family values were portrayed.  But that is just another sad part of the times that we live in.
          So what are your favorites?   

No comments: