In my previous blog I began to list some ideas of praying for grandchildren - or others - by using the fruit of the spirit. These were developed by Lillian Ann Penner in her book "Grandparenting with a Purpose" by Redemption Press. I would suggest that you purchase a copy of this book for many great ideas on providing a godly legacy for your family. Now let me continue with six more sets of prayer ideas.
4. PATIENCE - Patience is the capacity to be patient, showing self-control, or bearing pain or trials without complaining. It is being calm, steadfast, and persevering, even while waiting.
* Ask God to grant patience in the hearts of our grandchildren, as He refines them to become all He wants them to be.
* Pray for them to have patience when waiting for God to answer their prayers because very often their timing is not God's timing.
* Pray that they will learn to be patient and tolerant with their family members and friends.
5. KINDNESS - Kindness is having compassion and sympathy, being gentle, thoughtful, considerate, and helpful.
* Pray for your grandchildren to choose to sow seeds of kindness, since kindness is a deliberate action.
* Pray they will look for places to plant seeds in random acts of kindness.
* Pray they will be kind, thoughtful, considerate and helpful with family members and with their friends and classmates.
6. GOODNESS - Goodness is being kind, friendly, well behaved, admirable, honest, sincere and of reliable character.
* Pray your grandchildren will choose to have goodness in their hearts.
* Pray your grandchildren will sow seeds of goodness to others.
* Pray your grandchildren will be well behaved and of reliable character.
7. FAITHFULNESS - Faithfulness is being true, real, loyal, trustworthy, reliable and committed.
* Pray your grandchildren will see God's faithfulness to them and grow strong in their spiritual loves.
* Pray they will be able to place their complete trust in God.
* Pray they will be dependable, reliable, loyal and trustworthy and do what is right.
8. GENTLENESS - To be gentle one is tenderhearted, calm, kind, quiet, peaceful and well mannered.
* Pray your grandchild will have a tender heart with a gentle spirit.
* Pray your grandchild will have a calm, peaceful spirit and be well mannered.
* Pray they will be considerate of the feelings and needs of others.
9. SELF-CONTROL - To have self-control one needs to have self-discipline, willpower, restraint, and the ability to control one's own behavior, especially in reactions and impulses.
* Pray our grandchildren will desire a heart of self-control.
* Pray they will learn to control their behavior and their tongues.
* Pray they will recognize when Satan is tempting them and wants to steal their hearts.
* Pray they will use self-discipline to stand firm in the Lord.
Now that is a very comprehensive list of things to pray for. I am trying to incorporate these ideas into my prayer life, not only for my grandchildren but also for my own life. I would encourage you to do the same.
Thank you Lillian Ann Penner for developing and sharing these important suggestions.
("Grandparenting with a Purpose", by Lillian Ann Penner, Redemption Press, 2010)