Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Legacy, part 2


          In my previous blog I began to list some ideas of praying for grandchildren - or others - by using the fruit of the spirit.  These were developed by Lillian Ann Penner in her book "Grandparenting with a Purpose" by Redemption Press.  I would suggest that you purchase a copy of this book for many great ideas on providing a godly legacy for your family.  Now let me continue with six more sets of prayer ideas.

4.  PATIENCE - Patience is the capacity to be patient, showing self-control, or bearing pain or trials without complaining.  It is being calm, steadfast, and persevering, even while waiting.
*  Ask God to grant patience in the hearts of our grandchildren, as He refines them to become all He wants them to be.
*  Pray for them to have patience when waiting for God to answer their prayers because very often their timing is not God's timing.
*  Pray that they will learn to be patient and tolerant with their family members and friends.

5.  KINDNESS - Kindness is having compassion and sympathy, being gentle, thoughtful, considerate, and helpful.
*  Pray for your grandchildren to choose to sow seeds of kindness, since kindness is a deliberate action.
*  Pray they will look for places to plant seeds in random acts of kindness.
*  Pray they will be kind, thoughtful, considerate and helpful with family members and with their friends and classmates.

6.  GOODNESS - Goodness is being kind, friendly, well behaved, admirable, honest, sincere and of reliable character.
*  Pray your grandchildren will choose to have goodness in their hearts.
*  Pray your grandchildren will sow seeds of goodness to others.
*  Pray your grandchildren will be well behaved and of reliable character.

7.  FAITHFULNESS - Faithfulness is being true, real, loyal, trustworthy, reliable and committed.
*  Pray your grandchildren will see God's faithfulness to them and grow strong in their spiritual loves.
*  Pray they will be able to place their complete trust in God.
*  Pray they will be dependable, reliable, loyal and trustworthy and do what is right.

8.  GENTLENESS - To be gentle one is tenderhearted, calm, kind, quiet, peaceful and well mannered.
*  Pray your grandchild will have a tender heart with a gentle spirit.
*  Pray your grandchild will have a calm, peaceful spirit and be well mannered.
*  Pray they will be considerate of the feelings and needs of others.

9.  SELF-CONTROL - To have self-control one needs to have self-discipline, willpower, restraint, and the ability to control one's own behavior, especially in reactions and impulses.
*  Pray our grandchildren will desire a heart of self-control.
*  Pray they will learn to control their behavior and their tongues.
*  Pray they will recognize when Satan is tempting them and wants to steal their hearts.
*  Pray they will use self-discipline to stand firm in the Lord.

Now that is a very comprehensive list of things to pray for.  I am trying to incorporate these ideas into my prayer life, not only for my grandchildren but also for my own life.  I would encourage you to do the same.  

Thank you Lillian Ann Penner for developing and sharing these important suggestions.

("Grandparenting with a Purpose", by Lillian Ann Penner, Redemption Press, 2010)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can be purchased through Amazon