Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 1, 2017

You Have Rocks In Your Head!


         I have rocks in my head!   That sure sounds like a real put-down.  But, as I've recently learned, it is very true. Please don't get angry with me, but you have rocks in your head as well.

          When they first told me that while I was in the hospital, I thought one of us must be crazy.  But it turns out that these rocks, or crystals, officially known as otoconia, are part of God's amazing creation and are there to control our balance.
          Now if you are wondering why I am discussing this, it is because of my recent hospitalization and my bout of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, or BPPV.  If you didn't yet read it, you should go to my previous blog of June 24 for more details.
           The inside of the ear is composed of an organ called the vestibular labyrinth. The vestibular labyrinth includes semicircular canals, which contain fluids and fine hairlike sensors which act as a monitor to the rotations of the head. An important structure in the inner ear includes the otolith organs which contain crystals that are sensitive to gravity. These crystals are responsible for sensitivity to head positions,    
          In patients with BPPV, the otoconia are dislodged from their usual position and migrate over time into one of the semicircular canals (the posterior canal is most commonly affected due to its anatomical position). When the head is reoriented relative to gravity, the gravity-dependent movement of the heavier otoconial debris (colloquially "ear rocks") within the affected semicircular canal causes abnormal (pathological) endolymph fluid displacement and a resultant sensation of vertigo. This more common condition is known as canalithiasis.   In rare cases, the crystals themselves can adhere to a semicircular canal cupula, rendering it heavier than the surrounding endolymph. Now that is a mouthful ... or at least an earful! Upon reorientation of the head relative to gravity, the cupula is weighted down by the dense particles, thereby inducing an immediate and sustained excitation of semicircular canal afferent nerves. This condition is termed cupulolithiasis.
          Now here is my non-medical interpretation of the previous paragraph.  Your rocks get dislodged, go into the canals where they disrupt your balance resulting in horrendous, tornado like vertigo. Changes in the movement of your head can bring on these events.  Mine were usually caused by trying to lie down or get up.  Sometimes it was just movement of my head from left to right.
         Fortunately the individual events only last a few minutes although they sometimes include nausea. BPPV can result from a head injury or simply occur among those who are older. A specific cause is often not found.  I have no idea what brought on mine unless it was the extensive dental work I have had in recent months and still need in the weeks ahead.
          The good news for most of you is that usually it affects those 50 to 70 years old - except for me since I am 76 - and only about 2.4% are ever affected at some point.  I am wondering, if I am really part of the 2.4%, should I try playing the lottery?  I guess not - those winners would be a different 2.4%.
          The major way to regain normal functioning is to do something to get the rocks back in place.  Maybe you could do that by hitting your head with a hammer or standing on your head.  There is a maneuver that does not address the actual presence of the particles (otoconia); rather it changes their location. The maneuver (see the picture above) aims to move these particles from some locations in the inner ear which cause symptoms, and reposition them to where they do not cause these problems.  I had two of these very painful maneuvers done by a physical therapist.  They lay you down with your head hanging over the table and that sets you off.  Then they twist your head to your armpit which makes it worse.  They hold it there a few seconds which appears to make the crystals move.
          It took two of these treatments to make me feel normal again.  On the third appointment the therapist was not able to make it explode again.  PTL!  She released me but is holding my account open for a month in case it comes back.  Please pray that it doesn't.
         So there is your health lesson for this week.  It is probably more than you ever wanted to know about something which I hope never happens to you.
         But this has been an interesting reminder to me of how intricate God's creation really is.  Amazing!  He even made the small crystals to control our balance.  What an awesome God!
         And yes, I have "rocks" in my head, but so do you!        

No comments: