Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Be Encouraged


Psalm 69:29-34
     I am suffering in pain, rescue me, O God by your saving power.
     Then I will praise God's name with singing, and I will honor him with thanksgiving.
     For this will please the Lord more than sacrificing cattle, more than presenting a bull with its horns and hooves.
    The humble will see their God at work and be glad.
     Let all who seek God's help be encouraged.
     For the Lord hears the cries of the needy. he does not despise his imprisoned people.
     Praise him, O heaven and earth, the seas and all that move in them.


           Recently I have been reading through Psalms and Proverbs.  No matter how often I do this, I always seem to find new thoughts and lessons.  And, often they are not only timely, but also what I need.
          For many years I have led our church e-mail prayer chain.  I take the requests that are sent to me, edit them and send them out by computer to about 90 folks who are on our chain.  We average about 40 requests per month.  We also have a written policy which we require all chain members to follow.
         A few days ago I received a request from a man in our congregation who has suffered for many years with a variety of physical challenges.  His wife also has suffered with many serious problems.  They are a loving, caring, sweet couple who depend upon the Lord.  They are often on our chain with requests.
         This time he shared a request for the chain and then shared some personal comments just for me.  He told me that "It seems our issues are like fleas, they jumped from one to the other."   I know exactly what he means.  I've sometimes share our needs with the expression that we seem to regularly experience a "new physical challenge of the month."  I understand what he is saying.  But despite our complete dependence on the Lord, the continuing issues can become very discouraging.  And I know this couple has also reached that point.
          Then a few days later I received what I felt was a nasty, critical e-mail from another member of our chain.  Now I reserve the right to edit and shorten the requests which I receive.  I always try to include all the important facts sent to me, but I try to eliminate extra details which I feel aren't really necessary for the prayer request.  And believe me, I do receive all sorts of requests - many are very long and poorly written, often with bad English.
         Well this person was very upset at me for often editing her requests and not including all that she has sent me.  And, yes, I have done that a few times with her requests because I felt that they were wordy with all sorts of unnecessary details.  The last time I actually used her complete request, although I admit that I accidentally forgot to include the phrase "thank you for your prayers."  I replied and apologized to her for missing this, but told her it was my job as editor to share just the key needs.  Well she did accept my apology but she bluntly told me that I had no right to edit what she sends.  And her criticism was not shared kindly with me.
          Now I admit that my first reaction was not good, although I didn't respond in a negative way to her.  But, I hadn't treated her requests any differently than the many hundreds that I have shared over many years.  And she was even a relatively new member of the chain and was telling me how to do my job.  It did take me awhile to calm down and try to be kind.
         But, as I thought it over, I came to realize that she was probably hurting and looking to share all of the details of her problems with everybody who will listen.  She probably is discouraged and lonely.  And I think the couple who responded to me about the fleas is also hurting and lonely.  And I really understand their situations - it happens to many, if not all of us, at times in our lives.  And we often handle such situations differently - some folks are very private and want to be left alone while others want many to know and maybe even pity them.
          Then I read Psalm 69 and what suddenly struck me was the part of verse 32 which says "Let all who seek God's help be encouraged".   What a powerful reminder.  I need to pray not only for the needs that I share on the chain, but also that the one with the need is encouraged.  And maybe they need that even more than the healing or the solving of their shared problem.  Pain and suffering can easily lead to despair and loneliness.  And that can lead to depression.  We all need to be encouraged, especially in times of stress.
         And from now on that request will be part of my prayer life for those who I know are in need. May God encourage them in their time of need. Why not join me and give some thought to including that request for others in your prayer life.  And maybe you will actually end up being encouraged as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this post was really needed. In all the years I have done this blog I never have had the amount of problems that I have had posting this one. The technology continually failed me and I have had to make numerous attempts to edit it to get something that was readable. It almost appeared that some power was trying to prevent me from sharing these thoughts. So maybe some reader really needs to become an encourager.