Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Technology


My father teaching children
as an engineer at RCA
          I love the technological age in which we live.  Computers and the internet have greatly changed our lives and I am enjoying it.  I think if I were younger I would go back to college and get a degree in technology or computer programming.. 
          But in honor of this, the 800th blog that I have posted on this site, I feel that I should at least make a few comments about some of the changes, like blogs, that have resulted from technological advances over the years.  I know that very little profound has ever been shared here in those 800 writings, and this one will not be an exception to that.  But thank you to the few of you who have continued to visit here over the years.  Either you have very few useful things to do with your time or you pity me and are trying to humor me and make me feel that my ramblings are somehow useful or interesting. Either way, thank you!  But as I was saying ...
           One of the few things that I have really missed since my retirement have been the regular in-service technology training programs that were provided for us by the school district.  It is so much harder to keep up with all the changes on your own.  But the younger generation has little problem doing this because they have grown up with it and have no idea what life was like before technology.
           So here are a few things from my past that have drastically changed with modern technology.
          A computer was something on TV, from a science fiction show.  A window was something you hated to clean and ram was the cousin of a goat.  Meg was the name of a girl and a gig was a job for the night.  Now they mean different things and that really mega bytes for those of us who are older.
          An application was for employment.  A program was a TV show.  A cursor used profanity.  A keyboard was a piano.
          Memory was something you lost with age.  Compress was something you did to the garbage, not something you did to a file.  And if you unzipped anything in public you might end up in jail for awhile.
         Log on was adding wood to the fire.  Hard drive was a long trip on the road.  A mouse pad was where a mouse lived and backup happened to your commode.
         Cut you did with a pocket knife.  Paste you did with glue.  A web was a spider's home and a virus was the flu.
          And words like e-mail, internet, rom, website, CPU, motherboard, modem, MIDI, joy sticks, Java, malware, social network, Facebook and wifi probably didn't even exist, or at least they weren't part of any normal conversation.  Can you define each of these?
          The speed of change in technology is unbelievable.  A year is a lifetime with technology.  Buy today and you will find a new and better product on sale in a few months.
          I guess one of the good things is that to the best of my knowledge, nobody has yet been killed in a computer crash.   However, your identity might have been stolen!

          So take a bit of time off today and enjoy a cookie.  Take a few bytes.  Just be careful not to attract any bugs with the crumbs.  You might also enjoy an Apple  (be sure it doesn't contain a worm) or some Mac and cheese, or how about some spam?
         If you've enjoyed this blog, just shout Yahoo!.  But maybe you want to first close your Windows so that those in your domain don't hear you.  
         And with that I will log off.  

No comments: