Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

The "Good" Old Fifties


          I am a product of the 50's ...  let me qualify that, despite what you may think, the 1950's, not the 1850's.  Those were great years in my life.
          It was during those years that I gained a sister.  We built a new house.  We moved to Lititz.  I went to elementary school, junior high, senior high and college.  I learned to play the trombone and spent six years in the band. I learned to drive. I had my first jobs.  We started a new church.  I made many new friends.  We got our first television and I actually bought my own, for nine cents.  And I could go on and on - great memories.
          Those years were great years.  We didn't have to worry about terrorism or kidnappers.  It was safe to walk around town and visit friends, even at night.  We didn't need to lock our doors.  We could play pick-up basketball, baseball and football.  Television shows and music were clean and safe to watch and listen to.  Church services played a part in the lives of many people and schools made adjustments for Wednesday night church activities. Stores closed for several hours on Good Friday. Neighbors were friendly and helpful.  It was a different time.
          Recently I received a list of statements that might have been made by folks in those years.  Here are some for you to consider.
     * "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."
     * "Who would have thought gas would someday cost 50 cents a gallon."
     * "Pretty soon you won't be able to buy a good 10 cent cigar."
     * "Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the    president."
     * "Do you suppose television will ever reach our part of the country?"
     * "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."
     * "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."
     * "Did you know the new church in town is allowing women to wear slacks to their service?"
     * "Next thing you know is, the government will start paying us not to grow crops."
     * "There is no sense going to Baltimore or Philadelphia anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."
     * "No one can afford to be sick any more, $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."
     * "If a few idiots want to risk their necks flying across the country that's fine, but nothing will ever replace trains."
     * "I don't know about you, but if they raise the price of coffee to 15 cents, I'll just have to drink mine at home."
     * "If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it. I'll have my wife learn to cut hair."
     * "We won't be going out much any more. Our baby sitter informed us she wants 50 cents an hour. Kids think money grows on trees."
          It is so interesting, and maybe even sad, that times have changed so drastically.  I wonder what similar thoughts people in your generation might have had when they were teens.

No comments: