Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Thinking of Retiring?


          Are you looking forward to retirement?  Well some folks never retire.  General Douglas MacArthur understood this when he famously stated, "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away."  That might be true for five-star generals, but here are some things that happen to others as they age.

* Golfers never retire, they just lose their drive.

* Lumberjacks never retire, they just pine away.
* Accountants never retire, they just lose their balance.
* Bank managers never retire, they just lose interest.
* Vehicle mechanics never retire, they re-tire every day.
* Roofers never retire, they just wipe the slate clean.
* Engineers never retire, they just lose their bearings.
* Beekeepers never retire, they just buzz off.
* Musicians never retire, they just decompose.
* Farmers never retire, they just go to seed.
* Watchmakers never retire, they just wind down.
* Academics never retire, they just lose their faculties.
* Painters never retire, they just put a gloss on it.
* Tree surgeons never retire, they just branch out.
* Old librarians never die, they just check out, become overdue, and lose their circulation.
* Old crossword puzzlers never die, they just go across and -- hopefully -- up.
* Old milkmaids never die, they just kick the bucket and lose their whey.
* Old plumbers never die, they just get out of sink and go down the drain.
* Old teachers never die, they just grade away and lose their principals, their faculties, and their class.
* Old math professors never die, they just go off on a tangent.
* Old mimes never die, they're just never heard from again.
* Old housemaids never die, they just return to dust.

(From "The Gift of Age" (c)2010 by Richard Lederer)

So what about you?  Why not leave me a comment to tell me what happens to those in your line of work?

No comments: