Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Secret Service


          "In the secret service of prayer, what a wonderful privilege to share. There to earnestly plead, for a world intercede, in the secret service of prayer."  This is a chorus to a song written by John Peterson in 1960.  It is the first duet that my wife, then my fiancé, ever sang publicly.

          While this song never became very popular, it still has a very profound message.  One of the greatest ministries that a believer can have is that of intercessor, bringing the needs of others to the Lord.  If done faithfully, it can be a challenging and rewarding ministry   It is a secret one, generally not shared publicly, but done in private.  It can be a powerful ministry with amazing results.
          Over the years I have been very fortunate to have some amazing prayer partners with whom I could share my needs and concerns knowing that they would faithfully intercede for me.  Most of them are now in heaven.  But I still have a few with whom I share, knowing that they will pray.
          Fortunate is the person who has someone who will intercede for him.
          Now in Galatians 6:2 we are encouraged to "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."  But even though we have this command, it is often hard to do this faithfully.  Sometimes we are just too busy.  Sometimes we are forgetful. Sometimes we might not have enough faith. Sometimes we might even question the value of prayer.  And maybe sometimes we just don't really care enough about the other person's need.
          I think personal intercession might even be more important now than ever.  Many churches no longer have prayer meetings.  There are times in my life when we had as many as two prayer meetings each week. But, no more. Now we are too busy for that.  Fortunately many churches now have small groups where sharing and prayer are still important. 
          For almost 50 years my wife and I have administered prayer chains in our church.  Originally the chains were phone chains.  Now out chains are done by e-mail.  Within minutes we can share a request with about 95 different e-mail addresses.  And we work hard to keep it a prayer chain and not a gossip chain.  Do all of them pray for the requests?  I hope so, but that is really between them and the Lord.
          I think an important part of being an intercessor is being a prayer warrior.  Too many people just use the phrase "I'm praying for you" as an excuse to end a conversation or to sound spiritual.  Being a true intercessor means following through, not just once, but as often as needed.  It also means following up to see how the Lord is answering.  Saying that you are praying and then never following up makes your promises questionable at best.  I've had folks tell me that they would pray for a need that I had and then they never came back to ask how I was doing.  Did they really pray for me?  Did they really care?  I guess only the Lord knows that answer.
          Is there a need for intercessors today?  You are very shortsighted if you don't answer this with a definite "yes".  I am continually amazed at the needs, of all kinds, that folks have today.  Here are a few of the things I am presently praying for - two believers who have had strokes, a couple needing nursing care, a couple having trouble meeting their needs at home, people who need jobs, a person facing surgery, folks with cancer, a person with several possible serious physical needs, a missionary new to the field, several widows who are struggling, several friends who don't know the Lord, some wayward children.  And these are in addition to personal requests such as those for my children and grandchildren.  Also those for our country and government and our church and its ministries.  And the needs go on and on.  And they can get so heavy.  But we are called to be faithful intercessors, bearing the needs of those around us. no matter how difficult or impossible they may be.
          What a challenge.  Think about your responsibility as a believer and vow to be more faithful about this ministry - the secret service of prayer. What an honor and privilege to do this.

I must tell Jesus all of my trials,
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me,
He ever loves and cares for His own.
Refrain:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

I must tell Jesus all of my troubles,
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him He will deliver,
Make of my troubles quickly an end.

Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus:
He all my cares and sorrows will share.

What must I do when worldliness calls me?
What must I do when tempted to sin?
I must tell Jesus, and He will help me
Over the world the vict'ry to win.

No comments: