Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Then There Was One


          Three in 2004 ... then there were two ... now there will be one ... hospital in Lancaster.  First we said so long to the Osteopathic  Hospital and in June it will be to the former St. Joseph's Hospital which will close and transfer some operations to a hospital in Lititz.  And over the same years the population of Lancaster has increased and the needs have expanded.

          How will this affect us?  Just like the recent merger of our family practice from Oyster Point to Lime Springs, it will likely mean more delays in getting needed services.  Profit seems to be the major focus.
          We have already begun to feel the results of limited availability even though the new crush hasn't yet happened.  Several times over the past few years we have had to wait in the ER or in holding areas until a hospital room opened up.  Then a few times we were discharged sooner than we thought was necessary, most likely to open a room for other paying patients who were waiting for a room.
          This week we had another challenging experience with the one ER which will continue to operate.  Facing some problems with high pulse rates and high blood pressure, I reluctantly headed to the ER midmorning.  Fortunately we found the last available parking place for ER patients.  Then we encountered the waiting area.  The only way to avoid this time wasting step, sitting with many very ill patients, is to come by ambulance.  Then you at least get to wait in a room until you are finally seen.
          After my vitals were taken we waited about 45 minutes until I was finally taken to a bed - in the hall, not in a room.  I was left there to wait and during the next 45 minutes a clerk finally came just to register me - they needed to be sure that I had insurance to pay the bill.  Finally I was hooked up to a monitor.
          Almost an hour later I finally saw a doctor.  She decided that I needed an EKG, blood work and a CT scan.  I also asked to have my magnesium checked since I have a major problem with those levels.  Now in all fairness, these tests were done very quickly and everyone was very kind and helpful.
          Then we waited, again in the hall, for over an hour until we learned the results.  And privacy was not really considered.  We heard doctors, whose desks were right behind us, discussing their cases.  We heard that one patient in a room near us had an abortion and was now bleeding.  Down the hall there was another woman who had taken oxycodone and was sick and in pain.  She began to throw up violently.  Then a trauma patient was rushed to a room across from us.  He had apparently been conscious when he was brought in but his heart stopped and they were doing CPR on him.  Not fun to watch.  Not sure if he made it.
          Finally the doctor returned to tell me that the only problem that they had found was with the mag test I had asked for.  Once again my level had dropped and might have been a cause of my problems with my heart.  I was told that they would give me some mag and then let me go home.  When this has happened previously, I was given an infusion and my mag level increased.  After another wait they surprised me by just giving me two mag pills to take - the same thing I take four times a day at home.  I was very disappointed and then they released me.
          Now all who worked with me were very kind and helpful.  But it was obvious that they were overworked and didn't have enough facilities to handle all of us who were there.  So what will happen to care when the second local hospital closes in March? How will they handle all the additional patients who need care?
          It appears that medical care won't get any better with limited facilities, shortages of doctors, and increases in insurance and prescription costs.  But somebody will continue to pull in larger profits.  I guess that is the name of the game today.

P.S. - An update. First the good.  On Feb. 11 my kidney doctor wrote to suggest an alternative treatment, although it will probably lead to diarrhea.  Then my heart doctor called to tell me that there is a shortage of mag infusion and that is probably why the ER gave me pills instead.  I was impressed that both took time to contact me. Unfortunately that is more than a few other doctors have done.  Then the bad - there is a shortage.  It appears we are becoming a third world country.

(1)    The Great Physician now is near,
  The sympathizing Jesus;
He speaks the drooping heart to cheer,
  Oh, hear the voice of Jesus!
Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
    Jesus, blessed Jesus!

(2)    Your many sins are all forgiv'n,
  Oh, hear the voice of Jesus;
The veil 'twixt you and God is riven,
  Redemption wrought by Jesus.
Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
    Jesus, blessed Jesus!

(3)     All glory to the dying Lamb!
  I now believe in Jesus;
I love the blessed Savior's name,
  I love the name of Jesus.
Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
    Jesus, blessed Jesus!

(4)     His name dispels my guilt and fear,
  No other name but Jesus;
Oh, how my soul delights to hear
  The precious name of Jesus!
Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
    Jesus, blessed Jesus!

(5)     And when to that bright world above,
We rise to see our Jesus,
We'll sing around the throne of love
His name, the name of Jesus.
Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
    Jesus, blessed Jesus!

No comments: