Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 9, 2019

The Truth Is Offensive



        I have been fortunate to live my life during a period of time and in a location where Christian values were excepted or at least tolerated.  I have not faced much criticism of my beliefs and certainly have not faced anything that I would consider persecution.

         But times are quickly changing and Christian values are being challenged daily.  Those of us who hold and teach these values are being termed intolerant and bigoted.  Our values are being overturned by laws and regulations.  Can real persecution be far behind for believers?
          Now we know that the Scriptures tell us to expect such persecution but we have been sheltered from it while believers in other countries have even lost their lives for standing up for Christian teachings.  But if you are like me,  we probably felt that those times and actions would not happen in the good old USA.  But we have been wrong.
          Now I have watched change happening and in recent years the speed of rejection of Christian values has rapidly increased, especially in terms of things like abortion, marriage  and gay rights.  Standing for Christian morality is beginning to cost something.
          This became even more obvious to me when a resident of East Hempfield Township wrote the following letter to the Lancaster Newspaper which they published on February 18, 2019.  Here is what she said.

           In response to the Feb. 9 letter "Only hope is faith in resurrected Christ," I must admit shock.  Shock that this highly bigoted, prejudiced, ignorant letter was printed.  Unfortunate shock that there are still small-minded people around me who believe in only their religion saving us.  How dare the writer damm all people and claim to be a man of God?  How dare he state that all religions, other than Christianity, will lead to eternal death?
          To the wrier, I say: "Your would never survive outside Manheim.  In the real world, we are many colors and faiths.  Our country is made up of many religions, all devoted to faith and kindness.  The letter's thoughts are close-minded.
         Did the writer forget that Jesus was a Jew who would be very comfortable in a synagogue?  Jesus believed in loving all.  In my view, the writer is not a true Christian, but merely a man afraid of other faiths and ideas.

          Unfortunately, I believe this writer's thoughts are held by more folks than we realize.  They form their own truths in their own wisdom and reject the Bible and truth.  But that doesn't change the truth that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ who said that He is the only way to heaven.
          My reaction is not to criticize the writer for her misguided opinions.  But, unfortunately, her errors will have eternal results.  So instead I am adding her to my prayer list and praying that her eyes may be enlightened and that she will accept the truth of the Gospel before it is eternally too late.  I invite you to do the same.

1.     A mighty fortress is our God, 
a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, 
armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

2.     Did we in our own strength confide, 
our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, t
he Man of God's own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

3.     And though this world, with devils filled, 
hould threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth 
to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, 
his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.

4.     That word above all earthly powers, 
no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him 
Who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: 
God's truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

No comments: