Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Professional or Amateur?


          Sometimes performances by amateurs can actually be better than some done by professionals.
          For the past two years we have not been able to go out much because of the numerous physical challenges we have been dealing with.  And I must admit that I have missed the opportunities to go out to visit friends or to eat or to enjoy plays or even to attend athletic contests.  Most of our "social activities" have revolved around our church and our responsibilities there.
          But a few weeks ago I decided to take my wife out on a date to see a production at Dutch Apple.  In the past we have enjoyed shows there. We skipped the meal but were able to get tickets for two seats just for the show.  I had read the information about the play "Lucky Stiff" and it sounded like it would be a good night of comedy.
          But the first clue that it might not be too great came when we arrived and found that the auditorium was only half full, or should I say half-empty. That was unusual.  The story line turned out to be rather stupid - a millionaire had died and named his nephew as his beneficiary.  But to earn his huge inheritance he had to take his uncle - after he died - to Monte Carlo to "enjoy" a number of activities that had already been set up.  So the whole story was about taking this "stiff" to all these prearranged activities while a female friend tried to keep him from completing these requirements.  And, of course, there was a stupid ending to this stupid plot.  I guess we laughed a few times, but not too much.  And I guess it was a night out even though I could now find some better ways to have spent my money.
          Then, a few days later we went to see a production by the Conestoga Valley Middle School - grades seven and eight.  We had seen their plays previously when both of our granddaughters had parts.  And, despite being done by seventh and eighth graders, the plays were always very well done and enjoyable.  This time our youngest grandson, Brodie, had two parts in the play.
          The basic story was about a king and a queen who had four adult children who were rude and obnoxious.  The parents tried all sorts of things, including marriage, to get them out of the house for good.  In one scene they brought in a prince - our Brodie - to try and make a match with the older daughter, Princess Cinnamon, but she had no time at all for him or anybody else.
           During the intermission Brodie came and sat in the audience between my wife and I.  In the second half the royal parents tried to use some special brews to change their rude kids.  And Princess Cinnamon mistakenly drank a brew that would make her fall in love with the first person she would see.  And after drinking it she wandered to the edge of the stage where she saw Brodie.  The spotlight then shown on him.  He was now Eddie the Plumber and he went to the stage where they discussed plumbing and promptly fell in love.  There were all sorts of other outcomes for the other children, but the best was the marriage between Princess Cinnamon and "Eddie the Plumber from Leola".  (Incidentally the Princess was actually the daughter of one of a well know pastor of a large area fundamental church).
          The play was well done with great special effects. The actors were excellent. The story line was intriguing and better than that of the lucky stiff.  And we laughed and enjoyed ourselves.  And we didn't need to pay Dutch Apple fees.  It certainly was a much better evening out.
          I'm not really sure what the moral of this blog is except that you don't always need to pay a huge fee to have a relaxing evening.  Sometimes young amateurs can produce a more enjoyable evening than professionals.

  1. All my life I had a longing
For a drink from some clear spring,
That I hoped would quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within.
Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

 2. Feeding on the husks around me,
Till my strength was almost gone,
Longed my soul for something better,
Only still to hunger on.
Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

 3. Poor I was, and sought for riches,
Something that would satisfy,
But the dust I gathered round me
Only mocked my soul's sad cry.
Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

 4. Well of water, ever springing,
Bread of life so rich and free,
Untold wealth that never faileth,
My Redeemer is to me.
Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

No comments: