Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Life's Choices

          Recently I have been having trouble with my eyes and this has limited my daily Bible reading.  So I decided to invest in a large print edition - usually for old people like me - and I also chose to go with the New Living Translation which I find very readable.  This has been a great decision and I have enjoyed getting back to some reading once again.
          I decided to start reading from the Psalms and Genesis.   My readings took me to Abraham and his obedience to God.  I was reminded once again how Abraham obeyed God, leaving his home and journeying far away, not knowing where God would lead him.  What faith he exercised.
          And his obedience led to a life of amazing blessing.  But what would have happened if he had chosen to stay?  One thing is sure, he would have missed God's amazing blessing.
          This made me think about my life and my choices.  Throughout the years I have had to make many decisions.  What might have happened if I had made other choices?
          In high school I had to decide where to go to college.  I was looking for an engineering program which I realize now would have been a terrible choice for me.  Instead I chose Susquehanna University where my dad had gone and had taught.  It had the advantage of being a school with a good reputation, a small student body where I could get plenty of help, and a location near many of my relatives who lived jusr across the river in Sunbury.  It provided me with a good church where my grandfather was pastor.  It was the right choice and if I had not made that choice I would have missed out on one of the most important blessings of my life - meeting my wife.
          A few years later I had to find a place of employment. I was invited to interview for math positions at Hershey, Donegal, Elizabethtown and Penn Manor and I was offered a teaching job at all four.  Choosing was very hard because my wife and I had both had lived in Elizabethtown and we loved the town.  She had also lived in Mt. Joy where Donegal is located.  But for a variety of reasons we chose Penn Manor.  Again, right decision.  As it turned out I was there for 39 enjoyable years and had many special opportunities to minister there.  I often wonder what might have happened if I had made one of the other choices.
          During my second year of teaching I received a call and a job offer from a former professor/friend of mine who had left Susquehanna to go to Wagner College as head of public relations.  He needed an assistant to work on the sports publications and he wanted me.  That was very tempting because I  loved doing that and had many years of experience working with four different newspapers.  But it would have meant moving my family to Staten Island and after much prayer we felt that this was not the best thing for our family.  That was a tough but a good decision.  However, I often wonder where that choice might have eventually led us.
          After three years of teaching at Penn Manor I was promoted to Department Chairman and I enjoyed the additional administrative duties.  I had many contacts with area schools and over the years, two of them, Ephrata and Manheim Twp., interviewed me and offered me jobs in comparable positions in their districts.  I was flattered with their offers but came to realize that I was actually much better off where I was.  But I wonder what might have happened if I had made another choice.
          As I was nearing retirement I began to think about working as an administrator in a church.  But most churches wouldn't consider me because I did not have a Bible school education.  However one church did seem to want me.  Their pastor said he would like to have me on his staff.  The head of the selection committee asked me to propose a job description, which I did.  Then I was invited to a breakfast meeting with the elders where I thought I would be offered the job.  However, I was stunned when they told me that they didn't want me - no reason was given.  And they suggested that I consider creating a new position working independently with area churches and their children's ministries.  But they offered no help or finances and I knew from my experience that such a position was not needed since other ministries were already doing this.  And when the meeting was over nobody from that church ever followed up with me to see how I was doing with their suggestion.  They were done with me. Going with them would have been a very bad choice,
          It was the only time in my life that I was turned down for a job and I admit that I was stunned and very disappointed.  But the Lord was working.  What I didn't know was at the very same time the state legislature was working on a surprise major change to the retirement system.  As it turned out, teaching another year increased my retirement pension so much that I really did not need to take another job when I retired.  PTL!
          I guess another major decision came later when I had to decide to retire.  I hatred leaving a job which I loved, but I knew it was time to do so, and it was.
          I thank the Lord for His leading in so many important decisions during my life.  I might not have been as important as Abraham, but I know God was with me. Truly I can say, Jesus led me all the way.

(1)    He leadeth me, O blessed thought!
O words with heav'nly comfort fraught!
Whate'er I do, where'er I be
Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

(2)    Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden's bowers bloom,
By waters still, over troubled sea,
Still 'tis His hand that leadeth me.
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

(3)    Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis my God that leadeth me.
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

(4)   And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict'ry's won,
E'en death's cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

No comments: