Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Gardening Tips


        While growing up my parents always had a vegetable garden.  For many years they had to travel to reach their plot. That was difficult but it saved them money when money was tight.  But when they moved to Lititz they had a plot right on their property.  Later when we bought our house they also planted things in the farmland behind out house.  Growing up during the depression they learned the value of growing vegetables and canning them.  And they regularly did that.
          After we moved into our first house we also planted a garden behind our place.  Then at our second place we really didn't have room for one.  But after moving to our present location we had plenty of land behind us and we annually had big gardens – often larger than we could even take care of.
          But over the years our vegetable gardens shrank until all that we planted were tomatos.  But a couple of years ago we even gave up on that because we could buy better ones at local markets.  We did buy corn most years at the Corn Wagon and we would freeze it.  But this year with Dianne's heart surgery even that was too much for us.
         We' ve also tried to maintain our flower gardens but that too is getting more difficult for us to do.
          But while we can't do the physical gardening anymore, there is the garden of our life that we can still care for.  Recently I found the following instructions for properly caring for that garden.

GARDENING FOR GOOD RESULTS

Plant three rows of peas:
  Peace of mind
  Peace of heart
  peace of soul

Plant four rows of squash:
  Squash gossip
  Squash indifference
  Squash grumbling
  Squash selfishness

Plant four rows of lettuce:
  Lettuce be faithful
  Lettuce be kind
  Lettuce be patient
  Lettuce really love one another

Plant three rows of turnips:
  Turnip for meetings
  Turnip for service
  Turnip to help one another

Water freely with patience
  Cultivate with love
  There is much fruit in your garden
  Because you reap what you sow.

To conclude our garden...we must have thyme
  Thyme for each other
  Thyme for family
  Thyme for friends and especially
  Thyme for GOD


Thy Word is like a garden, Lord, with flowers bright and fair;
And every one who seeks may pluck a lovely cluster there.
Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare
Are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there.

Thy Word is like a starry host: a thousand rays of light
Are seen to guide the traveler and make his pathway bright.
Thy Word is like an armory, where soldiers may repair;
And find, for life's long battle day, all needful weapons there.

O may I love Thy precious Word, may I explore the mine,
May I its fragrant flowers glean, may light upon me shine!
O may I find my armor there! Thy Word my trusty sword,
I'll learn to fight with every foe the battle of the Lord.

1 comment:

A reader from Brazil said...

https://youtu.be/3Tp62Tvp81E
I watched this video today on youtube and thought it was precious!I am a reader of your blogs (especially Hymns with a Message) and while I was watching the elderly couple enjoying that touching hymn it made me think of you and your wife, despite not even knowing you two. Maybe it is because I love that old hymns and by reading your blogs I know you do too. I wished I knew how to play the guitar so I could do the same as that boy for some elders, specially my grandma that is 92 years old. Hope you two enjoy watching that.