Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Gone For Another Year

          And now it is ending!  I'm talking about the beautiful Christmas music that we have enjoyed the last few weeks.  I love this time of the year and I love the beautiful - at least some of it - Christmas music.  But most radio stations stop playing it on December 26.  A few others do begin to decrease it over the next few days. But basically it is done for another year.
         Music has been an important part of my life since I was a youngster.  Over the years I have sung in choirs, played in bands and ensembles, led singing and just enjoyed singing anytime I could.
         One of my favorite memories is how our brass ensemble used to tour the halls in high school playing Christmas carols.  Actually the very same thing used to happen when I began to teach.  But soon "political correctness" took over and these special traditions had to stop.  Now they are just memories of the good days.
         Now good music can calm the soul.  Even a baby can be calmed during a fussy spell by gentle singing.  
         Music helped King Saul when he was distraught.  David playing on a harp soothed Saul's heart when nothing else would.  I Samuel 16:23, "And so it was, whenever the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David would take a harp and play it with his hand.  Then Saul would become refreshed, and the distressing spirit would depart from him."
          I especially enjoy relaxing in my recliner while listening to music such as gospel, orchestral or hymn  arrangements played by my wife on her digital piano.  The Lord blessed me with a wife who is an exceptional musician and who loves to just sit down at various times throughout the day and play beautiful renditions.  That is relaxing and soothing to my soul.
         Now that I've been in the hospital overnight on numerous occasions I've learned how to beat all the hallway noise during the night.  I take my radio and with my headphones l listen all night to our local Christian radio station.  And I am usually able to relax and nap to the music throughout the long hours of the night.  In fact these experiences have led me to now keep my radio on throughout the night ay home enjoying the Christian programming.
           Well the end of Christmas music for another year should not be an excuse for not singing and enjoying uplifting and relaxing music.  Join me in making good music a part of your life.  But make your music a testimony of God's gifts to you.  Use music to praise and thank Him for what He hopefully means to you.  Use the following scriptures to guide yur thoughts ..... Psalm 9:2 " I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." ..... Psalm 18:49  "Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name."     Psalm 59:17  "Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy." ..... Psalm 68:32 "Sing unto God, ye kingdoms of the earth; O sing praises unto the Lord; Selah:" ..... Psalm 89:1 "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations." .....  Psalm 95  "1 O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation." ..... Psalm 100:2 "Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing." .....  Psalm 146:2  "While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being." . ....  Ephesians 5:19  "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;" .....     Colossians 3:16  "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

No comments: