Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Getting Old (LB)

LOOKING BACK - Repeating and editing a blog that I first published on April 26, 2010

         As I've gotten older I've enjoyed reading lists of funny items that share things that show you are getting older. And I usually laugh along and think, yes, I can relate to many of them. But today I've been doing some reflecting and I've developed my own list of bservations that make me realize how old I really am. I don't know if they are funny, but they certainly are true. So here goes. 

          I know I am getting old ... (1) When my former high school students are now retiring ... 
         (2) When I read that my physics prof who came to Susquehanna when I was a freshman is considering retiring next year - his 51st year at Susquehanna ... 
         (3) When daily I read the obituaries in the newspaper (and not really to see if I am there) and I see names of people that I've known ... 
        (4) When all the nurses and secretaries at our family medical practice call me by my first name - because I have been there so often ... 
        (5) When people ask me if I am going to retire from an activity that I have directed for years - maybe they think I should ... 
        (6) When the daughter of a friend of ours is about to graduate from high school and I actually remember when her mother was born and said her first words ... 
         (7) When I suddenly enjoy reading about history, especially local history, which I never really cared for before ... 
         (8) When one of my sons talks about what he wants as a gift - for his 40th birthday ... 
         (9) When I purchase salt for the water softener knowing that our family is coming for dinner and I will have somebody to carry it to the basement for me ... 
         (10) When the term "donut-hole" means medical insurance to me and not something related to a tasty food that I used to be able to eat - years ago ... 
         (11) When my youngest grandson (3 years old when this was written) not only enjoys computer games, but is very good at playing them ... 
        (12) When my family comes for a birthday dinner and two of the cars are driven by my grandchildren. It now won't be too long until six of my grandchildren will be driving - then I know I will be old!   
         Getting older does have some unfortunate disadvantages - your body no longer works like it used to, your wisdom and experience are seldom valued, younger folks have little time for you, you really aren't really needed for anything anymore, and many of your closest friends have already graduated to heaven. I guess that is why so many older people often become bitter and critical. 
         But there are also many advantages to getting older - you get senior citizens discounts and you get to support many different doctors. And your faith in the Lord often becomes stronger as you realize your growing need for Him.
         But in all seriousness, each day is a gift from the Lord and a chance to grow closer to Him. Each day gives you a chance to secretly intercede for others - and you now have the time to do it. We never know what a day will bring, but I am learning every day to say. "this is the day which the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it." Have a great day today!

When all my labors and trials are over,
And I am safe on that beautiful shore,
Just to be near the dear Lord I adore,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

When, by the gift of His infinite grace,
I am accorded in heaven a place,
Just to be there and to look on His face,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

Friends will be there I have loved long ago;
Joy like a river around me will flow;
Yet just a smile from my Savior, I know,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

No comments: