Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Promises


        Recently I received a precious letter from a friend of mine who has been facing many challenges caring for an aging parent.  She shared how once again the Lord answered her urgent prayers concerning an urgent need, this time at the very last minute.  And God's supply was more than expected.  I was reminded of Jeremiah 33:3, "Call unto me and I will answer thee and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not.:"  This is a verse that I learned as a child and have claimed so often.
          My friend shared how over many years she has seen God keep his promises and once again he has done so.  Psalm 37:25, " I have been young, and now old; yet have not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread."
          Then my friend reminded me of a chorus we used to sing as children.
Every promise in the Book is mine,
every chapter every verse, every line.
All are blessings of his love divine,
Every promise in the Book is Mine.
If you are too young to remember it you might want to listen to this.  PROMISE
          Now I know a few of you might want to argue that not every promise is for us but I'm not going to get into that debate.."  Psalm 145:9 declares,  "The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made."
          Psalm 100:5  "For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations".
         James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows".
         Psalm 84:11  "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favour and honour; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless".
         Isaiah 40:29  "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak".
         Isaiah 43:2  "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze".
          "Deuteronomy 31:8 "  The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged".
         "Joshua 1:9   "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
          Philippians 4:6-7  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus".
         Matthew 6:31  "Do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well".
         Matthew 11:28-30  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light"
         John 14:27  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid".
         John 14:1-3   'Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
         James 1:5   "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you"
        Psalm 145:18  "The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
         "1 John 3:2   "Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." .
         Philippians 4:19, NKJV.  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
          It is good for us to continually review his promises.  At times it is so easy to forget them.  Personally I am going through one of those times when the challenges of life seem so overwhelming.  And then I am reminded of Philippians 4:6  "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus,"  And He does and He will.

 1.     Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial-like strains it unceasingly falls
O'er my soul like an infinite calm.
Refrain:
Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!

2.     What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace,
Buried deep in the heart of my soul,
So secure that no power can mine it away,
While the years of eternity roll!

 3.    I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus' control;
For I'm kept from all danger by night and by day,
And His glory is flooding my soul!

4.     And I think when I rise to that city of peace,
Where the Author of peace I shall see,
That one strain of the song which the ransomed will sing
In that heavenly kingdom will be:

5.     Ah soul, are you here without comfort and rest,
Marching down the rough pathway of time?
Make Jesus your friend ere the shadows grow dark;
Oh, accept this sweet peace so sublime!

No comments: