Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Washing Your Hands

          We are all going through a very difficult time in history.  We don't know where it will end or even if and when it will end. .
          For those of us who are elderly it is even a more troubling time since apparently the elderly get hit by this virus the hardest.  My wife and I both qualify as being elderly.  On my birthday, on April 6, we will both be 79 and I guess that is old.
          Now neither of us want to face treatments for pneumonia and possible death, but trusting in God's promises we do know that we do have a better future - in heaven.  And we can trust in His promises.  That helps us face the many challenges of this terrible virus.
         We have been trying to follow all the suggestions on how to deal with the virus.  We have called off an elective surgery and a major medical test.  My pulmonary rehab has been closed and that has been hard to deal with.  We've tried to stay away from people and used gloves when going necessary shopping. Unfortunately we have not been able to get masks or sanitizer.  This week my back surgeon did a telephone visit with me rather than make me come into his office.  But only the Lord knows.
          Now one of the most important suggestions is to constantly wash your hands.  When you do this with soap and water you are to do it for at least 20 seconds.  It has been suggested that you should sing "Happy Birthday" twice to make sure that you are doing it for the full 20 seconds.
          A few days ago one of my cousins sent an e-mail to a few of us saying that singing this song doesn't do anything for her.  She suggests singing some Bible choruses or hymns instead.  One reply that she received suggested that for those who don't like to sing you could say The Lord's Prayer which she said would take at least 20 seconds .
          I thought this was an interesting topic and I decided to try and make my own list of suggestions for the hand writing.  Of course, much depends upon how fast or slow you sing.  So this week I am suggesting some alternatives for you.  You will need to determine your own timing. Hopefully the words will speak to you as you perform this new duty.
          
1.     God Is So Good 
You will probably need to repeat this or sing a second verse to meet the time.

2.     Jesus Is The Rock  
One of my favorites, but I could not find a video which used the words Jesus is the Rock of My Salvation.  But there are enough other verses.  You could invent some of your own and then you would have enough verses to take a bath.

3.   Joy Joy Down In My Heart  
I used to enjoy singing this with our Awana children and there are more than enough verses to use - maybe use a different verse each day of the week.

4.    Be Still and know
I love this one because it speaks to a need that I have, especially right now during these challenging days.  I think I may need to use this chorus a few times.

5.    Praise The Name of Jesus
A favorite song which we used so often when teaching children.  This is a good one because we need to remember to praise the Lord, despite our fears and anxiety.  As the chorus says He is our Rock and our Defender and in Him do we trust.  This has become my favorite one to use - at least this week.

6.    Jesus Loves Me
What an important reminder that is so simple but yet so profound.

7.     Oh How I Love Jesus
Another great testimony for us in times like this.

8.     Yes My Sins Are Gone
This may be one that you've forgotten or never heard.  But it is a great truth - our sins are gone and are buried in the deepest sea.

9.     I Have The Joy Joy Down in My Heart
A fun song with several verses.  A great testimony if it is true in your life.

10.   It Will Be Worth It All
This is one of my favorite hymns and would be a great reminder as we fight this terrible virus.  It is interesting to me that it was written by Esther Kerr Rusthoithe the very same year I was born.  So we are both old - 79 years old.

Oft times the day seems long, our trials hard to bear,
We're tempted to complain, to murmur and despair;
But Christ will soon appear to catch His Bride away,
All tears forever over in God's eternal day.

Refrain:
It will be worth it all when we see Jesus,
Life's trials will seem so small when we see Christ;
One glimpse of His dear face all sorrow will erase,
So bravely run the race till we see Christ.

Sometimes the sky looks dark with not a ray of light,
We're tossed and driven on, no human help in sight;
But there is one in heav'n who knows our deepest care,
Let Jesus solve your problem – just go to Him in pray'r.

Life's day will soon be o'er, all storms forever past,
We'll cross the great divide, to glory, safe at last;
We'll share the joys of heav'n – a harp, a home, a crown,
The tempter will be banished, we'll lay our burden down

Let me know what you've found to help with your hand washing.  Take care!  I don't want to lose any of my followers - I have so few as it is.

1 comment:

D. Corbin said...

What a great idea! Thanks for continuing your blog ministry. I often refer to your hymn blog! I pray for you and your wife each week at blog time! God be with you and yours !