Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Wonderful Grace

          The older one gets the more one recalls things that used to be enjoyed but have been forgotten over the years. Recently I came upon a television special by the Gathers that featured the work of Cliff Barrows, song leader for Billly Graham crusades. I began to recall the great crusades of past years which featured large choirs, outstanding music, great crowds and stirring sermons. I even recalled how I once attended one of his crusades in Times Square in New York City. That is a great memory.
           But what touched me most while viewing this special program was the huge choir which sang “Wonderful Grace of Jesus”. First, it reminded me of the great choirs that I used to enjoy at camp meetings and Bible conferences. It reminded me of the many hymn sings that I have led where folks sang the old hymns so heartily. I’m sorry, but in my mind today’s praise teams don’t begin to measure up to these memories.
           I was also reminded of the many old hymns, filled with doctrine and testimonies which still minister to me even though they are not sung anymore today. Now I don’t mean to get into the battle of hymns vs. praise choruses. But I must say, I really miss the hymns!
          One of those that I really miss is “Wonderful Grace of Jesus”. I love to sing it because of ts upbeat, bouncy meter and somewhat unusual refrain, which splits into two parts, with the melody alternating between the bass/tenor and alto/soprano parts. But I also love this hymn because of its great words. God's grace which is greater than our sins. Grace that reaches the most defiled and sets our spirits free. And where can our praise begin for such a wonderful Savior who deals with us with his great and wonderful grace? If your life has been touched by His grace then you need to praise and thank Him and sing of His wonderful grace.
           This excellent hymn was written by Haldor Lillenas who was pastor of a First Church of the Nazarene. In 1919 he published his first book, and three years later he organized his own publishing house. For the next 10 years, he traveled, preached, wrote hymns and published song books. Over his lifetime Lillenas wrote more than 4,000 hymn texts and tunes,
           According to Lillenas, In 1917, "Mrs. Lillenas and I built our first little home in the town of Olivet, Illinois. Upon its completion, we had scarcely any money left to furnish the little home. Having no piano at the time, and needing an instrument of some kind, I managed to find, at one of the neighbor's home, a little wheezy organ which I purchased for $5.00. With the aid of this instrument a number of my songs were written which are now popular, including “Wonderful Grace of Jesus.'" Incidentally, Wonderful Grace of Jesus was copyrighted in 1918, but not published until 1922 in the Tabernacle Choir Book. Lillenas was paid $5.00 for this song, just enough to pay for the little organ." 
          As you read the words and hear it sung, your heart should be filled with thanks and praise for the wonderful grace of Jesus that reaches you. Remember that it is by grace that we are saved. It is by His grace that we ae blessed daily. And it is by His grace that one day we will be with Him eternally. Now I enjoyed being reminded of the great music large choirs in the past. And I enjoyed being reminded of some of the great music of the past. And I especially enjoyed being reminded of the great hymn “Wonderful Grace of Jesus” and the wonderful truth it conveys.
           What great memories and I thank the Lord for them. Take time this week to meditate upon the great words of this hymn.


 (1) Wonderful grace of Jesus, Greater than all my sin; 
How shall my tongue describe it, Where shall its praise begin? 
Taking away my burden, Setting my spirit free; 
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me. 
Refrain Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus, 
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea; 
Wonderful grace, all sufficient for me, for even me. 
Broader than the scope of my transgressions, 
Greater far than all my sin and shame, 
O magnify the precious Name of Jesus. Praise His Name!

 (2) Wonderful grace of Jesus, Reaching to all the lost, 
By it I have been pardoned, Saved to the uttermost, 
Chains have been torn asunder, Giving me liberty; 
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me. 
Refrain Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus, 
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea; 
Wonderful grace, all sufficient for me, for even me. 
Broader than the scope of my transgressions, 
Greater far than all my sin and shame, 
O magnify the precious Name of Jesus. Praise His Name! 

 (3) Wonderful grace of Jesus, Reaching the most defiled, 
By its transforming power, Making him God's dear child, 
Purchasing peace and heaven, For all eternity; 
And the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me. 
Refrain Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus, 
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea; 
Wonderful grace, all sufficient for me, for even me. 
Broader than the scope of my transgressions, 
Greater far than all my sin and shame, 
O magnify the precious Name of Jesus. Praise His Name! 

 If you would like to hear the crusade choir sing this song, try this link.   CRUSADE

No comments: