Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 28, 2020

Thanksgiving Memories

           2020 created a different Thanksgiving for our family.  Isolation because of the possibility of spreading Covid forced us to change and eliminate the family traditions that we have enjoyed for years.  Our family gatherings were a thing of the past, possibly never to return.                   

          We deeply missed being with our family members and sharing in a time of fellowship and enjoying a turkey dinner together.   I guess it helped us appreciate even more the many years that we could gather and enjoy our time together.  Zoom and telephone calls are a substitute, but a weak substitute.  

          But our separation did not keep us from being thankful for all that we have had and all that God has done for us.  I was especially reminded of some music that was part of our lives in years now gone.  For example, when we led Bible schools and meetings for children, we had a simple prayer chorus that we used frequently.  I can still hear the children singing these words.

For mother's love and father's care
For food to eat and clothes to wear
For home and friends and answered prayer
I thank Thee lord

But most of all my thanks shall be
That on the cross of Calvary
The Savior gave His life for me
I thank Thee Lord.

          In our early married years there was another song of thanksgiving that we often sang as a duet but have not heard for many years.  I searched for it on the internet and found that it was written in 1948 by Ruth G. Hallett.  The text was written by Ruth for her husband.  They were newlyweds and she was thanking God for all the things He had done for them.  Unfortunately I could not find a video or recording of the song, but here are the words.

Thank You, Jesus, for all You've done.
Thank You, Lord.
Thank You, Jesus, for vict'ries won,
O thank You, Lord. 
For Thy love and tender care,
For Thy Word and answered prayer.
Thank You, Jesus, for all You've done.
Thank You, Lord.

Thank You, Jesus, for love like Thine.
Thank You, Lord.
Thank You, Jesus, for grace divine.
O thank You, Lord. 
For Thy cross of Calvary,
For Thy blood that cleanseth me,
Thank You, Jesus, that Thou art mine.
Thank You, Lord.

But maybe the chorus that I missed the most this Thanksgiving was "The Blessing Song" written by Ruth Crawford.  This song has been a tradition in our family as long as I can remember.  It was sung every time our family, including grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins gathered to eat.  I have so many great memories of the beautiful harmonies that would flood around the table.  We have continued that tradition with our family.  In fact it has become such a tradition that our son and daughter-in-law had it printed on a board for us as a Christmas present.  Today that gift hangs in our kitchen.

We thank Thee Lord for this our food,
God is love
But most of all for Jesus' blood
God is love!  God is love!
These mercies bless and grant that we
May live and feast and reign with Thee,
May live and feast and reign with Thee
God is love!  God is love!

God has been so good to us over the years.  I thank Him for the many blessings and memories that He has provided us.  God is so good, He's so good to me.

        

No comments: