Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Disagreements

          About a year ago I posted a comment on Facebook thanking those who had gotten their covid shots making my life a little safer.  It was an honest comment of gratitude and nothing more.  But it really stirred up an unexpected negative reaction.
           I received all sorts of negative comments in return telling me that I had no right to condemn friends who have chosen not to get the shots.  Many of these came from folks I barely knew. Others came from friends and fellow Christians. And many displayed anger. I  didn't see that coming!
           I think I was also defriended by some of my Facebook "friends".  I learned quickly, but too late, not to discuss covid and vaccines with others.  Sadly it is too explosive a topic especially among conservatives and Christians.
          I am saddened that many churchgoers can't be tolerant of the opinions of others.  We are the same ones who cry intolerant when those with alternate views on things like abortion and gay marriage attack us.  We may have different viewpoints but we still need to take heed to the scripture, "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving".  Or has this admonition been taken out of our lives?
          Early in the pandemic I heard pastors from two different Bible Fellowship Churches pray and ask the Lord for unity in decisions on things like mask wearing.  It appears that they were facing criticism over their decisions.
          If you have been following the news you may have heard of the many arguments and disruptions at school board meetings over mask wearing and covid procedures.  Patrons have been taken out of meetings by the police because of their disruptive actions.  Board members have been threatened.  And it appears that much of the protests are coming from conservatives and probably even "church people".  What have we come to?  Isn't there any common courtesy any more?
          Now I have stopped expressing my viewpoints on these subjects but a few of my "friends" on Facebook haven't. They must feel that they can convert me. From a few Christian friends I continue to get posts that the covid is a hoax, it is just a normal virus.  I am told that mask wearing does nothing.  I hear that vaccines are not good and shouldn't be required.  And the government can't make us wear masks and take away our rights. Now I listen but I don't respond.
           My wife and I have gotten our shots, as recommended by our doctors.  We plan to get the third shot as soon as our brand becomes available.  We wear our masks.  We ask visitors to our house to wear their mask if they are not vaccinated.  All of our immediate family are vaccinated.  But not all of our extended family has chosen to do so and we have chosen to accept that but not to visit with them.
            Many have resisted getting the shots because they feel the government can't force us to do so.  Some believe that this is the first step in the antichrist requiring us to have the number 666.  I guess they could be correct, but the Lord has not yet led me to resist.  I obey many things that the government requires such as - wearing seat belts, stopping at red lights, paying taxes, getting required shots for school and taking the polio vaccine.
          We have had friends who have died from covid.  We know many who have suffered through it but fortunately have survived.  So we are taking it seriously.  And I no longer am debating this with the few friends I have left.  Life is too short to be rude to others.
          Oh yes, my grandfather died in 1918 in the Spanish Flu epidemic.  And that also wasn't a hoax.


No comments: