Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, May 20, 2022

A Walk

          What is your favorite physical activity?  For most of my life mine has been walking.
          In my elementary years I had no choice.  Not only did I need to walk to and from school, but in those days we also had to walk home for lunch.  School cafeterias were unusual in those days, so we had to go home and then walk back.
          In the days when we lived in Lancaster and Lititz there were so many interesting places to visit, beside school.  And walking was safe, so I walked all over the place.  I didn't walk for exercise, just to visit friends and even to shop.
          Then when I hit my twenties I hit a roadblock – my first bad back experience.  I was diagnosed as having ankylosing spondylitis.  It was painful and very limiting. Powerful medicines were required and exercise was suggested.  So slowly it was back to walking each day.
          For many years I walked about an hour each day.  During school days I would usually walk early in the morning before going to teach.  I enjoyed this time when I could pray and reflect upon things I needed to do.  Usually I would listen to Christian radio as I walked.  But I learned to be careful after having a skunk suddenly cross my path in the darkness of the early morning.
          When the days were hot during the summer or when the weather was bad, I would usually drive to Park City where I would walk in the mall.  That was fun but the hard floors were hard on my feet and back. Even so I was still able to earn numerous honors (shirts) from a Penn Manor Wellness committee for my walking records. Dianne often walked with me there.
          But over the years three neck and back surgeries made walking much more difficult.  But a program for Pulmonary Rehab kept me going.  I enjoyed using a variety of machines to keep walking and staying in shape. I also met a number of nice people during my months there.  And I felt much better.
          Then I hit another roadblock.  Covid forced the sudden closure of rehab and suddenly my walking was curtailed.  I really miss rehab.
          Then came the cane.  Then a walker.  Next came a rollater.  Before I knew it, I was dependent on each of these. Now I am in physical therapy where they are trying to teach me to walk once again.  The process is slow and discouraging. 
          It is hard to become handicapped.  It is hard not to be able to do the many things that you have been always able to do all of your life.  You never see these changes happening to you.  But, they do, too suddenly.
          However, I have been trying to learn a few lessons. Be thankful today for the many normal things you can still do.  You may not be able to do those things tomorrow, so don't take them for granted today.
          Be willing to find ways to help others who are slowing down or are becoming handicapped. In the near future you might need someone who is willing to help you. It happens.  Becoming handicapped makes one lonely, needy and discouraged.
          Appreciate what you have today and what you can still do.  Be thankful each day for what abilities the Lord still has allowed you to have.  Trust Him for tomorrow.
          "Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord."  Psalm 119:1
          If you can walk, be thankful.  If you can't, then continue a caring spiritual walk with Jesus.  He will never leave you no matter how handicapped you may become.


No comments: