Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, July 15, 2022

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday dear Bowen,
Happy birthday to you.
 
          That is the song that we will be singing today with our neighbors as they celebrate their son's fist birthday.  They have spent the entire week preparing for the party by painting, trimming shrubbery, mulching and cleaning the yard.  Everything looks great and his parents are excited.
          They've also purchased a large plastic inflatable pool for him.  If I were in better shape physically, I would love to just go and sit in it to keep cool.  But I might not be able to get out when I was done.
          We've been invited to the party but I don't know if we will go.  We've purchased a present for Bowen.  However, I have trouble walking and standing, especially on uneven ground.  
          I do look forward to the day when I might be able to entertain Bowen.  It has been 16 years since we have had a baby in our family.  It will now be three months until we have another one, but since he will live in the Boston area our chances to hold him will be very limited.
          Now every family celebrates birthdays differently.  Some have big celebrations with parties and loads of presents.  Others have low key celebrations.  Others, like us, have never done much to celebrate.
          I don't know if I ever had a birthday party growing up.  I don't remember any presents, but then I don't remember any Christmas presents either.  I think I might have had a party or two as an adult. Most years birthdays are just another day for us.
          As we get older our celebrations also change.  We did go out to eat on my wife's 82nd birthday this week but we also stopped to purchase our colonoscopy prep kits.  And we also went to get our covid booster shots.  What a contrast with the celebration of Bowen's birthday.
          We did have low-key celebrations for our boys, a few parties and usually cash gifts.  It's not much of an excuse, but our family finances were very tight when they were children.
          But we did take the birthdays of our seven grandchildren more seriously.  For each birthday we prepared a special shaped birthday cake – animals, sporting goods, instruments, etc.  Then they were able to plan their own special birthday meal which the entire family met to enjoy.  These are special memories.  Unfortunately, the pandemic brought these celebrations to an end.
          Now there is one very special birthday that we do celebration – the birth of Jesus at Christmas.  We have many traditions that have included Candlelight Services, Christmas Eve buffets, enjoying memories from the past year on DVD's, praying together, exchange of gifts and times of sharing.
          But the best celebration is still to come and I hope that you will join me.  Someday soon we will celebrate with the Lord in heaven.  Many of our family members and friends are already there celebrating and we will soon join them.  That's a party I look forward to attending!

No comments: