Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Land of Plenty?

          America – the land of plenty.  Is this still true?  Will it be true in the future?
          The pandemic has made a hit on our "plenty" that nobody could have predicted.  We are all struggling with shortages of many needs, inflated costs and problems caused by shortages of employees.
          Changes in weather are creating serious problems – floods and fires have been devastating and incredibly expensive. And many major parts of our country are experiencing serious droughts which are curtailing crops bringing on more shortages of food and water.
           We've all read of the shortages of baby formula.  What stress for parents of small children.  What does one do when formula is not available?.
          But one of the most serious shortages is the shortage of school teachers. Many teachers are leaving their profession.  Years ago such departures were usually the case of inadequate salaries.  Now salaries have increased but other pressures are more serious and are causing burn-out.  Discipline can be very difficult.  Pressures from the public detract from the ability to teach.  Social causes, required  gender-neutral pronouns, gender recognition, school shootings and political pressures add new stresses.
          So, what can schools do?  They can hire and use uncertified teachers – anybody can teach.  You require teachers to have larger classes, or they can be required to cover other classes, they can be forced to design internet lessons that can take extensive time and training to be done well.  None of these are great alternatives – in fact they are terrible strategies.
          I completed 39 years in the classroom and I enjoyed each year.  I miss my students and I miss the art of teaching.  But would I go back again, even if I was much younger and they offered me twice what I earned 20 years ago?  No way.
          Now this is a serious shortage which could affect America in so many years.  Dumb down and dilute the educational system and serious problems will result.
          But there is another major shortage – The shortage of doctors and medical staff.
          When the pandemic began, we were stunned to get a notice from our dentist that after many decades he was closing his practice.  He was a friend who had very fairly taken care of us since his practice opened.  I think he was concerned about his health and that of his clients with covid.  We miss him.
          Since our former family medical practice was bought out by Penn State Medical, seven of our former doctors have retired or gone into practice elsewhere.  Three of these were my wife's favorite female doctors.  This large practice has not been able to replace any of their female family doctors.  They claim they have not been able to hire any.  What does that tell you about the medical field?
          Several months ago both my wife and I needed physical therapy.  About 25 years ago we began to go to a therapist who was known by many doctors as being the best in the area.  And he was.  He especially helped me survive several knee, back and neck surgeries.  But we were stunned to know that he had sold his business and was not taking clients anymore.  This was another major disappointment.
          Then this week my wife's cardiac doctor hinted that he might soon be retiring.   Her surgeon who did her pacemaker also suddenly retired during the pandemic.   And her favorite gastro doctor for over 30 years has now limited his schedule and is hinting of retirement.
          And, of course, a few weeks ago when I needed to schedule a CT scan and an unlrasound for my wife it took almost four weeks to get one scheduled.  The reason given?  They said staff shortages.
          So, what does the future hold for this land of plenty?  Who knows, but I can't think it will ever get any better.  
          Land of plenty?  Maybe America is just getting what it deserves after many years of turning its back on God and His teaching.

No comments: