Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Second And Thirds

          Growing up I remember a prayer meeting leader who often said that he was glad that he wasn't the third verse of a hymn.  His reasoning, song leaders often choose to skip the third verse to save time.  And he was right.
          Unfortunately third verses (and often second as well) have powerful messages that are needed.
          Now while I produce my weekly hymn blogs I usually review the entire hymn.  But I've decided to go back through some of the 600+ hymns I've reviewed and look at some of these key verses.  Over the next few months I will devote some of my posts in this blog to many of these verses.
          I hope you will be challenged and encouraged as you review these.
 
Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there. 
Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.
 **********
  Every day the Lord Himself is near me,
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Pow'r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made
**********
  A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord, 
He taketh my burden away; 
He holdeth me up, 
and I shall not be moved, 
He giveth me strength as my day.  
He hideth my soul in the 
cleft of the rock that 
shadows a dry, thirsty land; 
He hideth my life with the depths of His love, 
And covers me there with His hand, 
And covers me there with His hand.
 
  With numberless blessings 
each moment He crowns, 
And filled with His fullness divine, 
I sing in my rapture, oh, glory to God 
For such a Redeemer as mine!   
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock 
that shadows a dry, thirsty land; 
He hideth my life with the depths of His love, 
And covers me there with His hand, 
And covers me there with His hand.
**********
 Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to its rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blessed.
Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings, my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.
**********
Jesus is all the world to me, 
my Friend in trials sore;
I go to Him for blessings,
 and He gives them over and o'er.
He sends the sunshine and the rain, 
He sends the harvest's golden grain;
Sunshine and rain, harvest of grain, 
He's my Friend.
**********
Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
Chorus: Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!
Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!
**********
No other friend so keen to help you,
No other friend so quick to hear;
No other place to leave your burden,
No other one to hear your prayer.  
All your anxiety, all your care,
Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;
Never a burden He cannot bear,
Never a friend like Jesus!
**********
God hath not promised we shall not know
Toil and temptation, trouble and woe;
He hath not told us we shall not bear
Many a burden, many a care.
 
But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.
**********
Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.
**********
When, by the gift of His infinite grace,
I am accorded in heaven a place,
Just to be there and to look on His face,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.


No comments: