Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Then And Now

          It was about 1950 when we moved from a home on the campus of Elizabethtown College to 448 N. Queen St. in Lancaster.  We lived on the second floor of this house in inner city Lancaster while my aunt and uncle lived on the first floor.  We stayed that way for about a year until their new house was finished and they moved, giving us the entire home to live in.
          During that time I learned to enjoy the city.  It was very safe and had much to offer.  I would walk to school everyday and would come home for lunch.  After school I would often walk the few blocks to the downtown and visit many interesting stores in a vibrant shopping area. I used to walk to the YMCA for swimming lessons.
          During those years our church was formed.  Our first pastor had an apartment around the corner from us.  Some of the young men from Berean Bible School who came to assist stayed with us while they served.  Our church rented a hall downtown for service and my family regularly walked the city streets to attend both day and night.  So many good memories.
          In those days Lancaster, known as the Red Rose City, was safe.  There were no break ins or vandalism.  Shootings were unheard of.  Times were different.
          Over the decades many things have changed.  Years ago we used to watch the evening news and hear of the daily shootings in Harrisburg.  They soon caught up to Reading in killings.  But Lancaster remained generally free of violence.  It was a city where it was still safe to walk or drive anywhere.
          Then several years ago the news began to be filled with shootings in the White Rose City of York.  Unfortunately, it has never slowed down.
          Then a couple of years ago the violence spread to the Red Rose city and now we live with almost daily shootings and killings.  Gangs and drugs are the main causes.  Violence is the new normal and there is no difference between crime in the White Rose City and the Red Rose City.
          And there is no end in sight.  Now Lebanon is starting to catch up with these other cities with violence.
         Is there any ho
pe?  Just the return of Christ.  
          Oh Lord, we yearn for your return.

No comments: