Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 9, 2023

Your Eyes

         We never know what a day will bring. Often, we are faced with new challenges and we don't know what to do.
          We may face a financial challenge, a sickchild or a sick spouse, a family disagreement, a conflict at work, or a vocational decision.  And we sometimes have to admit, "I don't have an answer."  So, what should we do when this happens?
          Well these challenges aren't new.  Man has always faced such situations, although the circumstances may have been different.  For example, King Jehoshaphat of Judah found himself facing a massive alliance of three armies (2 Corinthians 20:1-30). So, what did he do?
          First, he proclaimed a fast to seek help from the Lord. Then he prayed, recounting God's past counts of faithfulness to His people. And beseeching God to judge their enemies, He concluded his prayer with these words, "Nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You." He didn't know what to do but he did the only thing he could do, put his eyes on God.

          God immediately told the king what to do and Judah was delivered from its enemies.

          There should be a lesson for us in this true story.  When the challenge seems impossible, we should turn our eyes on our Heavenly Father.  Now if you are like me, you know this truth, but it isn't always the response we make.  Instead, we try to solve our impossible challenges in our own strength and wisdom.  And that often fails.  Sometimes I am just a slow learner.
          One of my favorite songs reminds us of the need and value of turning our eyes on Jesus.  Now, I must just do it each time.

 

(1)    O soul, are you weary and troubled?

No light in the darkness you see?

There's a light for a look at the Savior,

And life more abundant, and free!

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,

Look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory and grace.

 

(2)    Through death into life everlasting

He passed, and we follow Him there;

Over us sin no more hath dominion—

For more than conquerors we are!

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,

Look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory and grace

 

(3)    His Word shall not fail you — He promised;

Believe Him, and all will be well:

Then go to a world that is dying,

His perfect salvation to tell!

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,

Look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory and grace

 

Listen to it here.   LISTEN

                        

No comments: