Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 25, 2023

We thank Thee, Lord

          After several years of disruptions to our family gatherings caused by covid and other illness, we finally were able to gather on Thursday to celebrate Thanksgiving. Sixteen of our eighteen family members were there.  My middle son and his wife were absent because he just had hip replacement surgery on Monday and wasn't allowed to travel.

          We had a great time of sharing what is happening now and remembering times from the past.  God has been so good to us as a family and we have so much to thank Him for.

          We also welcomed our first greatgrandchild, thirteen month-old Malachi.  Since he lives near Boston it was a special opportunity to get to know him.  Lord willing we will be together once again on Christmas Eve, another family tradition.

          The day had many special times, but one really touched my heart. It has been a family tradition for many generations to sing our prayer before we eat.  The harmony was special but this time the words and the tradition meant more to me than ever.

          As we sang, I realized how unique this opportunity really was.  I was touched by the knowledge of how true the words were to all of us in attendance.  And I realized that this might never happen again here on this earth. I thought of particular relatives with whom I had sung this in previous years. Precious memories! I hope for the Lord's soon return.

          Here are the words and message of this traditional meal time prayer:

 

We thank thee Lord for this our food,

God is love, God is love.

But most of all for Jesus's blood,
God is love, God is love.

These mercies bless and grant that we
may live and feast and reign with thee,
may live and feast and reign with thee,
God is love, God is love.
Amen!

 

I hope that you had a meaningful Thanksgiving and may the truth of this chorus be real in your life.


No comments: