Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 13, 2024

Encouraging Reactions

          What do you do to encourage somebody who is going to have surgery?

          The best thing might be to pray for them, or even better yet, with them.  It is encouraging to know that you have a team taking you before the Lord, the true Great Physician.  What a blessing to have friends who pray.

          Don't forget to actually pray.  It is easy to make promises and then forget them.

          Depending how close you live to them, there are many little things that take little time but are really helpful – bringing their daily newspaper to the front door, getting their mail, watering their flowers, bringing their trash cans back to the house, or just making a short personal visit.

          Depending on the condition of the patient, they might appreciate a meal, some help with light house cleaning, some small help with minor repairs, some grocery shopping or other things that are part of normal life.
          There are so many simple things that would be meaningful to a person facing surgery.

          Now what shouldn't you do?  Don't tell them stories of those who suffered through serious pain or failed operations.  The patient doesn't need to hear all of these sad stories, even if they happened to you.  But believe me, these horror stories are the ones most share and they are not the least bit encouraging.  Don't people think about what they are sharing?

          And after surgery there are many things that the patient may need.  Don't forget them in their time of rehabilitation and slow return to normal life.

          Now Dianne is preparing for knee replacement surgery on July 31.  We are concerned because with my recent physical challenges, I will not be able to care for her.  Going to a rehab might not be possible due to Medicare rules.  So, we will see how the Lord provides.  And, we know He will.  And we know He may use some of our friends, like you, to pray and maybe help.

          But please don't share any stories of folks who were worse after their surgeries.  She has already heard too many of those.

No comments: